Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Waves IR-1 Vrs. other verbs

How much better is the IR-1 compared to the other waves reverbs? How about compared to Digis D-verb?

Anyone have IR-1 on a dual G5?

What is the performance like? How many can you get in a session at 48K?

Thanks,
B.p.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Waves IR-1 Vrs. other verbs

Well the IR-1 is an impulse reverb which is different then a regular reverb. You're convolving a "file" with your your audio with an impulse reverb vs. an algorythm in a standard verb. The waves R-Verb is my favorite verb, but many on here prefer sony or other plugs. Impulse reverbs are very CPU intensive, even more than a regular reverb which tends to be the biggest "hog" on your system.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:40 AM

The Waves reverbs are nice. Been using Truverb and RennVerb for awhile. RennVerb is really nice.
BUT.....
Then I tried Altiverb......No contest. I can run one RennVerb and two Altiverb 4.0's on my G4/1.4Ghz no problem.
And no it's not three reverbs in a session. Altiverb is an convolution verb too, which you can use impulses from just about anything....LA2As'....SSL EQs'......etc.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 PM

Is the Ir-1 worth it? I have waves Platinum with ren-verb and True verb. Will I really noice a differnce?

Gorilla. So you can get the 3 verbs you listed on your G4 no problem?

More thoughts on the IR's.

Thanks,
b.p.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:31 PM

I have the IR-1 and yes, it is very different than your normal reverbs.
It all depends on what you want to do. If you are trying to simulate spaces (or devices) it works great. You can also make your own convolutions and the library is growing.

IR-1 is very CPU intensive, but there are light and low CPU settings that help. I've put 4 IR-1's in a 48K session. it all depends on how long the reverberation is.

Personally, I still prefer the sound of Lexicon's reverbs (Pantheon which is bundled with the Lexicon Omega is top notch) from the MPX1 and the delays of the LXP1 since they have dedicated processors for this. My last album was done with totally external reverbs.

I cannot speak for altiverb, but I have used ren-verb and true-verb...( and even D-verb ) but I always end up on my outboard gear for verbs.

The IR-1 Light is not enough. Some very critical controls are missing. So be warned.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Thanks Simple,

Please keep the thought coming. really considering buying this for a classical guitar record I will be doing.

Thanks,

B.p.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks Simple,

Please keep the thought coming. really considering buying this for a classical guitar record I will be doing.

Thanks,

B.p.
Here.. LOOK ,try the demo. With your setup you can get THIS many Altiverbs! When I put it in no latency mode I still can get two Altiverbs and a Renn verb. With No latency, heck I record guitars with them running.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM

Quote:
The IR-1 Light is not enough. Some very critical controls are missing. So be warned
Hey SimpleNatureSpirit
can you elaborate? I've had my eye on the IR-1 light. I'm not much of a reverb user(I prefer delays or dry for most of my projects). I only have the Dverb. I was hoping maybe the IR-1 light would be a noticeable improvement (over Dverb,Truverb,Renn verb) for the times that I do use a little 'verb. I'm not looking to spend lots of $$$ for a rarely used plug.
Anybody like the IR-1 light? or should I just invest in a better reverb plug-in?
thanks
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 12-20-2004, 12:56 PM

The key missing parameter in the lite version of IR-1 is the ability to alter the response curve.
This allows you to draw the shape of the response.
Also missing is the response EQ, dampening, size, coloration, resonanse, and density controls...
...and there are no early reflection and reverb delay or gain controls. The lite version is not any easier on the CPU than the full version because all the unaccessable controls are still active.

In Waves' new famous way of making lite plugs, these settings are default and you never know what is being applied.

For the money, any other reverb is probably worth more sinse they all give you these controls. If you like Waves quality, IR-1 full version is a versitile tool. A careful eye on eBay will get you a good deal on a sealed product.

Even better, look at the Lexicon MPX1 on eBay. With SPDIF capability and 6 effects which can be chained any way you want, it is a good alternative to expensive RTAS plugs. If you have a guitar fetish, check out the Lexicon MPX-G2 with built in pre-amp and excellent amp modelers. And as for legacy customer care, you cannot beat Lexicon... 20 year old products are still supported and they shipped me a new EPROM upgrade for free for my second hand MPX-G2. Now that's service! (are you listening, Digi?)
Old 12-20-2004, 03:23 PM

thanks
definitely looking for a "software" verb. Sounds like maybe the Altiverb is the way to go?
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb