Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Default PRO TOOLS 8 compatible with WINDOWS 7 someday?

Once Windows 7 is officially released, are there any plains of Pro Tools 8 being compatible with it?

Windows 7 seems to be a WHOLE lot better and smoother than VISTA; so, I'm hoping there could be a good marriage between the two software giants someday?

Anyone ever here anything through the grapevine regarding PT8 and WIN7?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Re: PRO TOOLS 8 compatible with WINDOWS 7 someday?

You really should have tried a search of this forum first. It turns up several very recent discussions (like this one, and another, etc etc), that are completely on topic.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Cool thanks.... I'll check those out!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevensvox View Post
Once Windows 7 is officially released, are there any plains of Pro Tools 8 being compatible with it?

Windows 7 seems to be a WHOLE lot better and smoother than VISTA; so, I'm hoping there could be a good marriage between the two software giants someday?

Anyone ever here anything through the grapevine regarding PT8 and WIN7?

Only if PT9 doesn’t come out first.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Cool Re: PRO TOOLS 8 compatible with WINDOWS 7 someday?

It will be. It has the same compatibility basis as Vista and we all know that PT works with Vista.

I've been testing Windows 7 for the past few days. I haven't tried PT on it yet. Im a put it on the one im almost finished building.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe24 View Post
It will be. It has the same compatibility basis as Vista and we all know that PT works with Vista.
Not quite. You'll only be able to get Digi USB I/O boxes working with Windows 7 such as the Mbox etc and you'll have no iLok drivers for your plug-ins which nulls out using HD and M-Audio that can only run PT after it gets authorization from the iLok. Still a ways to go with Windows 7 and Pro Tools.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM

+1 on W7 being better than Vista. It's apparent right outta the box (so to speak). I wrote a little assessment on the thread I started (mentioned above). IMO This will be the PC OS of choice going forward since even though I have a solid and fast XP/PT8 combo running I always have the feeling that I can break it if I go gorilla on it. Even though Vista is a bogmeister I feel that it is pretty dang robust... so that makes me hope that W7 turns out to be the best of both world's: the solid advances under the hood of Vista and the zippiness of a tuned XP rig.
Unfortunately for me since I don't care to do recording work on an MB2/USB interface I won't be doing too much with my W7/PT8 install. I plan to check in with it now and then to see how many MS updates are pushed. Already with the Beta there were 3 or 4 that came in. It's always a good sign that MS is on the case. By late Spring to Mid Summer I predict a solid OS and hopefully DIGI will follow suit with an 8.x version, within a few months.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM

I loaded Windows 7 last night with Pro Tools 8 M-Powered and a M-Audio ProjectMix I/O. Pro Tools loaded with no problems whatsoever and there is a beta driver for the ProjectMix I/O on M-Audio's website for Windows 7. Also I loaded the Waves Mercury bundle and had no issues with that. The only software that I have not gotten to work yet is IK Multimedia's Sampletank L but I have not jumped to far into it. I think there is a new verson for Vista that may work since I upgraded to 7 from XP. I have not had much time to really push it but everything seems to be running smoothly.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Here's the giant thread on this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 AM

i know why pro tools mpowerd 7.4 dont work on windows 7. on vista it works untill u install service pack 1 then it stops workin. i uninstralled service pack 1 and it started working again. im sure the service pack 1 files from vista is already on windows 7 and that is what the problem is. i dont understand why when they make updates and new systems they just dont make it so all your stuff works like drivers software ect.