Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Automatically Copy Files on Import Preference should be default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
This has been my experience too - import dialog is always solid and tells you what you need to know. Drag and drop, while convenient, has had issues over the years. Personally, I *always* use the import dialog for bringing in files.
That's been my experience too, Rich... There have definitely been various bugs over the years around Drag and Drop NOT working properly, and I always use Import dialogue as well...

I posted this thread a few years ago, which was exactly to the OP's point, I suggested in the now-defunct IdeaScale forum, and crickets...
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...Tools+Sessions

Notably, StudioOne has a preference that asks you when you SAVE the session if you want to copy the files in. Only problem - if you say NO the first time, it doesn't ask you again!
Old 03-22-2021, 11:06 PM

It should be the default as there are way more inexperienced users out there struggling with file management than senior post production pros who can change the setting to their needs easily.

Best

Mark
Old 03-22-2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I decided to post this today because I saw a post on a Facebook Pro Tools group where someone was devastated because they worked in a studio that was now closed and they had an important session coming up and they were missing audio files. A couple months ago I had someone else reach out to me because they were missing session files from working on multiple computers and they were devastated because they couldn’t find where the files were. While I know how to find where the files are, etc. It is a huge problem for many people, especially newer Pro tools users.
I felt this. 😔

Been a PT user since v7 and recently lost a main vocal file for the first time ever as a result of doing an import session data from a backup and not checking the copy option (not default). I like the idea to ask the user preference at installation. For music projects I want to have everything in the song folder no matter what. I also like the idea to have the option to copy all session files to the audio files folder. I had no idea we could do that in workspace since the interface is very archaic and unintuitive.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I never use the Import Audio window on my home computer and I have never had any issues from dragging and dropping files into Pro Tools with the automatically copy Files on Import preference on.
I'm glad drag and drop is working for you but in my experience, it rarely does. I've only had trouble free sessions by using the file menu method.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:36 PM

I've done game post production professionally for the last 10 years and i always have this checked. And i agree it should be by default. Drag and drop into sessions speeds up the process a lot for me. I don't think I've ever had a missing file when that is checked and I use drag and drop.

Missing audio files is the number one thing i see with people newer to the industry. They never have this checked as they don't know the option exists.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

One of those things that should be a pref when installing, along with session always open with last saved playback settings. i'm constantly switching playback settings back to what they were when i last opened the session.

Chris
It is a tricky subject to discuss what the default status of a Preferences Setting should be. Whatever works for one person might not work for others and the few posts in this thread show it. For music production, copy should always be on, but for post-production (working on a server environment) copy should definitely be off.

When it comes to teaching, it is all about hammering the basic checklist in the student's brain. Choosing the proper Sample Rate might be one of the items, but Copy files is definitely another one.

BTW, I don't like the way in Pro Tools that the Preferences settings has two types of settings, some are stored with the Session and some are not. Logic Pro has a better approach of having Preferences (saved in the Preferences file) and Project Settings (saved with the Project file).

For my class, I have a checklist for the students to run through when they work on a system before they do anything on their computer (don't assume, verify) and the Copy Files is high on the list.

The I/O Setting in the Dashboard Dialog is another nuances. It is always set to last used, and even if I set it to "Stereo Mix" it always falls back to Last Used. This should definitely be either a preference or should remember its last setting. From a student/teaching point of you, this will have them start with the default I/O Setup instead of inheriting the mess from the previous user and add more to that mess.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 03-24-2021, 11:04 AM

When it comes to on/off setting, there are always people who prefer on and people who prefer off. Just make a mental note you need to change your settings after every system reinstall (if you are not brave enough to transfer old settings to new system)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
It is a tricky subject to discuss what the default status of a Preferences Setting should be. Whatever works for one person might not work for others and the few posts in this thread show it. For music production, copy should always be on, but for post-production (working on a server environment) copy should definitely be off.

When it comes to teaching, it is all about hammering the basic checklist in the student's brain. Choosing the proper Sample Rate might be one of the items, but Copy files is definitely another one.

BTW, I don't like the way in Pro Tools that the Preferences settings has two types of settings, some are stored with the Session and some are not. Logic Pro has a better approach of having Preferences (saved in the Preferences file) and Project Settings (saved with the Project file).

For my class, I have a checklist for the students to run through when they work on a system before they do anything on their computer (don't assume, verify) and the Copy Files is high on the list.

The I/O Setting in the Dashboard Dialog is another nuances. It is always set to last used, and even if I set it to "Stereo Mix" it always falls back to Last Used. This should definitely be either a preference or should remember its last setting. From a student/teaching point of you, this will have them start with the default I/O Setup instead of inheriting the mess from the previous user and add more to that mess.

You’re completely right, Edgar. IMHO the default setting should be the one that doesn’t confuse inexperienced users when it comes to on/off settings. A pro user is able to check settings and change them to his/her liking.

Best

Mark
Old 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
From a student/teaching point of you, this will have them start with the default I/O Setup instead of inheriting the mess from the previous user and add more to that mess.
Student and classroom point of view is that you save i/o settings (.pio file) once, and then start the class by reloading the settings you know you want to be using as starting point.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The only issue is; even with this setting checked, sometimes it still doesn't work I cover my ASSets by copying the files into the session folder and import from there. This extra step has never disappointed me
Same. Been doing it for years. I always change this setting, but it doesn't always behave. Seems like an odd bug to have persisted so long.

And I agree that copying should be the default.