Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 AM

Default SSL Nucleus - Pro Tools 11 I/O Settings

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help me with something, which is probably so simple to the experienced eye but has left me confused even after reading the Nucleus documentation and trawling the net.

The Nucleus is always referred to as a 4 in / 4 out unit and when I configure my I/O setting in PT11 I am getting 4 options on both inputs and outputs…so far so good.

Here is where, possibly, my lack of fundamental understanding may be evident (although I am reading Pro Tools 11 Ignite! by Andrew Hagerman to try and address that ) what are the 4 ins and outs?

My current understanding is that:

The 4 ‘Ins’ are:

2 x Combination XLR / Jack Plug connections
2 x External XLR Inputs

The 4 ‘Outs’ are:

2 x ‘Pre Out’ XLR connections
2 x Monitor XLR Inputs (L&R)

Have I got this right? And if this is the case what signal goes out of the two external send and return 1/4” Jacks.

One of the reasons for asking is that I have bought a TC Helicon Harmony G-XT Studio unit and want to feed a vocal from a single track to the input of the unit (XLR) connection so that the unit will generate harmonies using its ‘manual’ function i.e. using a programmed song Key. I am aiming to then record the harmonies onto a separate track.

There is a YouTube video of someone doing this and they are using a Nucleus but they refer to the output from the interface being a ¼” Jack connection (using a Jack / XLR converter) so I assumed it would be one of the physical sends? If that is so I am unsure of the internal routing I would need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Terry
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 AM

Default Re: SSL Nucleus - Pro Tools 11 I/O Settings

Hi Terry,

Nucleus routes to DAW,the (2) analog outpus and SPDIF port (4 Total)
DAW feeds the Nucleus (2) analog inputs and SPDIF port (4 Total)
As for the TC, i guess that you may use it either as an insert on the Nucleus
(and adjust the dry/wet level -if possible- on the TC) or via the way you describe.
Make sure that you have the latest Nucleus firmware and SoundCard driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-06-29 at 1.08.21 PM.jpg (101.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-29-2014, 04:20 AM

Hi mix109

I really appreciate your reply; can I just confirm a couple of things from your perspective please?

I have my Playback Mixer and Monitor Mixer settings exactly as per the thumbnail from the Nucleus guide (and had the same settings when I used Cubase before I changed to PT) i.e. I have all the Monitor Mixer settings in the 'Off' position. However I record audio using both the XLR and Jack inputs just fine but the way I read the guide, with all four Monitor Mixer settings at 'Off' I don't understand how I get to hear the inputs and record them

Also can I confirm that if I have my powered monitors as my only physical output connection I do not need to activate the SPDif channels (2&3) in the playback mixer?

Apologies for my poor understanding…have been using the Nucleus for about 14 months now and all was fine with the settings as per the guide until I started trying to find a way to get a signal out of the physical send connections

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 AM

Terry,

Take a look@ the Nucleus user guide (Page 39) where the 'mixdown' function, is explained in details,as well as the dry/wet level in regards to the DAW returns.
As far as it concern the SPDIF, these are the (2) extra 'outs' from your DAW,should you have any device in your studio which can accept this type of connection you may use them,(Nucleus<->Device)otherwise let them be ;-)
Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Once again thank you mix109…it must be my set up which is incorrect.

Currently if I have a guitar plugged in to Channel 2 on the Nucleus (with the Hi Z button depressed) I can hear the guitar through my monitors even though I do not have either the Mono L or Mono R buttons selected and without even having an audio track in the project; I still have to turn the blend button to wet to silence it.

In my mind I only expected to hear the guitar once the record arming on an audio track was selected but I'm not sure that's correct.

Back to the manuals for me but really appreciate your replies…thanks again.

Terry