Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Beat Detective vs. Elastic Audio vs. What?

Novice Here.

Wondering if someone can explain the differences in use for Beat Detective & Elastic Audio? In what situations might you tend to call upon which? Any ideas on training videos or written publications?

Most importantly, I have made a recording where the rhythm section drifted from the click (at about 3:00 min. into the song until the fade). Latter we noticed that the subsequent overdubs may have drifted slightly from the rhythm section (and probably from each other). I wonder if perhaps Beat Detective or Elastic Audio could be used to correct this? If neither can, and I am forced to scooth each track manually into time with the click, then what good are these softwares? Again, under what circumstances would you use them/would they be useful?

I wonder too if anyone would be interested in giving a listen to an Mp3 of the song and perhaps if you feel the song to be fixable, we can send you a data disc of the session?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Yes!
Quinn
http://www.bluesevolution.com/music.html
Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective vs. Elastic Audio vs. What?

Pro Tools Elastic Audio in Action by our very own Kenny Gioia is one of, if not, thee best real world Elastic Audio tutorial around and worth every penny.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Beat Detective vs. Elastic Audio vs. What?

Beat detective is designed to work with percussion and won't do so well on other instruments. I personally have not had much luck with it, but know some folks love it for drums. I use EA a lot and it can save the day(with some cautions). If you use it on acoustic drums(which means bleed on all drum tracks) you should make a group of all the drum audio tracks, so edits will maintain phase/time thru the EA edits. Next thing is; I recommend that you duplicate the playlist before you use EA on it as sometimes, EA will cause some artifacts that force you to revert and start over, or(if you don't notice it right away) you might end up with ruined audio(or copy the track and EA the copy). One side benefit of this is, sometimes you can copy original audio and place it according to the EA edits(BTW, PT9 is much better at avoiding artifacts....for me anyway).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave