Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Digidesign - Coming September 23rd. Guitar players: Prepare to change your game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Yeah it would be good to know how to best integrate this with a 002 or 003.
Probably just unplug the 002 or 003 for the guitar recording sessions as it acts like a PT Interface.

I'm going to have to figure out a new little game plan with this one myself since I have HD.

By far the coolest LE interface to date for sure.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 09-23-2009, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Digidesign - Coming September 23rd. Guitar players: Prepare to change your game..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy View Post
Probably just unplug the 002 or 003 for the guitar recording sessions as it acts like a PT Interface.

I'm going to have to figure out a new little game plan with this one myself since I have HD.

By far the coolest LE interface to date for sure.
I'm more interested in wiring the 11R into the 003 more or less permanently as long as I'm not giving up features.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-24-2009, 12:09 AM

If I am not mistaken DTS has mentioned in a few threads that the only way to do this is through the inputs of the 002 or 003, whether they be digital or analog. The Eleven rack can't be used as an aggregate device. In other words, the usb only provides data, no audio, and therefore can't be used in tandem or to add I/O. Hope I explained that properly, it's late and i'm tired. at any rate if you do a search for it he answered this question at least twenty times today so it should be easy to find.
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 AM

found his answer.......
DTS-
"You can use the Eleven Rack in combination with your current LE, MP or HD system, however it will not work as an 'aggregate device' - meaning that the USB connection only transmits control data and not audio streams, as it would if you were using the Eleven Rack as your primary interface.

With an existing LE, MP or HD system you would connect the audio I/O of the Eleven Rack to your current interface and the USB connection to your computer. You will need the latest version update for 8.0.1, available below, to see the Eleven Rack control window within Pro Tools LE, HD or MP:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=39771

The updates at the bottom of this page were created to add support for using Eleven Rack with existing installations of Pro Tools version 8.0.1 HD, LE and M-Powered. This updater will only run if an existing installation of Pro Tools HD/LE/M-Powered version 8.0.1 is detected.*

Eleven Rack support on HD and M-Powered systems includes the ability to control Eleven Rack via the Eleven Rack Control Window and embedding Rig settings. It does not enable Eleven Rack to act as an aggregate audio interface and pass audio up or down the connected USB 2.0 bus. In order to integrate Eleven Rack audio in your Pro Tools HD or M-Powered sessions, connect Eleven Rack to your existing HD or M-Powered audio interface by using the analog or digital I/O featured on Eleven Rack."
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 09-24-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I'm more interested in wiring the 11R into the 003 more or less permanently as long as I'm not giving up features.
Specifically though, it really only has 2 analog outputs and 2 digital outputs, and I haven't noticed yet if you can use them independently (4 outs)

So exactly what way do you have to connect the thing to be able to use the reamping features..?

The thing I can't figure, is how do I get a clean track and a stereo effected track into my 002 at the same time? Or do I have to reamp every time to record the effected sound? I'm kind of assuming that I might have the spdif IO connected between the 2 devices for this setup...

The manual is a bit sketchy about this and I feel some of the convenience of the reamping feature would be given up..

It is also confusing because the section in the manual for "Using 11R with HD or MP" also applies if you are currently using another LE interface..
Old 09-24-2009, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Specifically though, it really only has 2 analog outputs and 2 digital outputs, and I haven't noticed yet if you can use them independently (4 outs)

So exactly what way do you have to connect the thing to be able to use the reamping features..?

The thing I can't figure, is how do I get a clean track and a stereo effected track into my 002 at the same time? Or do I have to reamp every time to record the effected sound? I'm kind of assuming that I might have the spdif IO connected between the 2 devices for this setup...

The manual is a bit sketchy about this and I feel some of the convenience of the reamping feature would be given up..

It is also confusing because the section in the manual for "Using 11R with HD or MP" also applies if you are currently using another LE interface..

Yeah thats kinda my question. Presumably you use either the XLR analogs or the SPDIF for the effected signal with is supposed to be stereo, The USB carries only data. This leaves the 1/4 inch outputs for a clean signal which are rather inconveniently located on both the front and rear panels. I'm not sure that I have that right and step by step how to would be nice as its not really covered in the manual. I have a feeling that this is not going to work as advertised.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-24-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah thats kinda my question. Presumably you use either the XLR analogs or the SPDIF for the effected signal with is supposed to be stereo, The USB carries only data. This leaves the 1/4 inch outputs for a clean signal which are rather inconveniently located on both the front and rear panels. I'm not sure that I have that right and step by step how to would be nice as its not really covered in the manual. I have a feeling that this is not going to work as advertised.
Yes, and the 1/4 " outputs seem to be geared towards connecting to an amp and not necessarily to a balanced line input on an interface..

I hope Digi will clarify..

I am also a little surprised that they didn't throw a few new amps in there to entice... But then I guess all the plugin owners would have started braying...

Hopefully it is updatable for future additions...???? That's another problem with doing this in a hardware box..
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Eleven Rack support on HD and M-Powered systems includes the ability to control Eleven Rack via the Eleven Rack Control Window and embedding Rig settings. [snip] In order to integrate Eleven Rack audio in your Pro Tools HD or M-Powered sessions, connect Eleven Rack to your existing HD or M-Powered audio interface by using the analog or digital I/O featured on Eleven Rack.[/I]
Dang.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
If you want both clean and effected signal, you would need to use both the digital and analog connections on the Eleven Rack to the 002/003, then configure Eleven Rack to tap the signal chain at the point in the signal chain you want to send to those outputs.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you want both clean and effected signal, you would need to use both the digital and analog connections on the Eleven Rack to the 002/003, then configure Eleven Rack to tap the signal chain at the point in the signal chain you want to send to those outputs.
I was afraid it was gonna be like that. I wish they would have allowed you to use the usb + "insert your LE interface" at the same time. That way you could integrate it more easily and get all it's features without having to have work arounds. I thought this was meant to be a "game changer"? IMO make it one. While I will definitely consider getting one, they could've done better. The work arounds I'd have to use to integrate this seamlessly into my setup and not have to constantly be patching cables, could be done just as easily with a POD and a Radial DI. Yeah the True-Z input and processing power has my interest piqued. Let alone I know the plug in sounds pretty good and it's live use is interesting. Had they allowed me to use it as an external processor via USB simultaneously with my 002, I'd have ordered it already. IMO they were really close to hitting it out of the park. As is, it's a nice job, but man was it close to being a have to have.