Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Re: 2018.3 Running Very Well Here.

Soundbase Favorite list is gone, The heart in right corner use to list all the sounds that I favorited nothing there now
Old 03-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Sounds like there's a disc on your dvd drive.
Spooky - yes there is. How is this a thing?

Now I'm really conflicted, since (you'll just have to believe me on this) Kontakt
loads faster with a disc in the drive. This, mind you, is the same disc drive that in Windows 7 couldn't do ASIO audio at all unless there was a disc in the drive, which I really do understand sounds made up, but I can assure you was absolutely true.

The good news is I get a new rig and new disc drive next week, and hopefully will put all this nonsense behind me. Curious to know why it makes PT misbehave though....

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM

It's just best to keep the optical drive free when running Pro Tools.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 PM

If there's anyone having any reproducible issues, please post here along with the steps reproduce, and I'll report it. Pleas include all system info.

For me, this is still one the best releases ever. I haven't had a single error or crash since installing it.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS AIKEN View Post
Did you try Sierra yet? Still not better with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sierra actually works much better than El Crap. Still get some spiking but its not as nearly as bad and so far, fingers crossed, no show stoppers.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 03-16-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
Sierra actually works much better than El Crap. Still get some spiking but its not as nearly as bad and so far, fingers crossed, no show stoppers.
Thanks, SDF.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-17-2018, 01:19 AM

I can double that, Sierra has been very well built OS and it makes me think about Snow Leopard which left PPC code burden behind. But in this case Sierra is the last OS before Apple's new filesystem. It seems they have put more effort than usual to iron out bugs and even had time to tweak their code for perfromance.

With that said, all of my computers are running High Sierra but that is because I want to gather as mucb first hand experience from the filesystem than possible. I have accepted the fact that this approach will let me face some kinks here and there, but those have been fewer than I expected.

...and the next OS is likely released soon :P
Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post

Good to hear. If you’re trying to just record audio (not sure about with VI’s) at a low buffer. I’ve found using an app called Cpu Setter to disable hyper threading works well.

I recently did a drum tracking (14 tracks) session at a 32 buffer....not one spike. That’s with Slate VMR plug-ins on every track as well as Valhalla Room on an aux.

I’ll try to test it with some cpu intensive VI’s and see if it helps.

Chris

Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Good to hear. If you’re trying to just record audio (not sure about with VI’s) at a low buffer. I’ve found using an app called Cpu Setter to disable hyper threading works well.

I recently did a drum tracking (14 tracks) session at a 32 buffer....not one spike. That’s with Slate VMR plug-ins on every track as well as Valhalla Room on an aux.

Chris

thanks for the tip, if works will uninstall xcode and reclaim 5gig of precious ssd space

but what we really need on mac is something that can disable certain cores per app.. in windows this is easy and built right in.

People are solving their windows PT cpu spikes by simply disabling one core only for PT.. i bet you it would work on mac too, it makes sense..

Why did avid remove the setting, sigh. Studio one has removed it too...

The only daw on mac to still let you choose (but only in divisions of 2) is Logic. But Logic doesn't have any spiking issue anyway so it doesn't matter, even at 32 buffer with 32 tracks armed.

I wonder if there is a way on mac, any way to tell PT to only use 6 or 7 threads (in the case of an 8 logic processor system, i.e a quad core with HT).
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Chris

damn, at 32 buffer? I cannot run any session at 32. I had downloaded the cpu setter when I was having issues with el cap which that app worked ok, but I would still get a buffer error even though I would not see the cpu buffer actually spike. That didn't happen often. I have an extra SSD that I will probably install High Sierra on just to see if that OS works any better.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com