Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 PM

Default High-Pitched Noise when in PT

Hey guys whats up,
New here to the forum and decided to ask this question before anything..
I have an Mbox 2 Mini, USB to my HP Desktop.. Now when im not using any audio apps, like PT or FL Studio.. I hear no noise at all.. good, but when using PT or FL, i get this high-pitched noise from the interface.. through my monitors.. It does not mask out the audio.. It lets me work, but sometimes gets really annoying.. tried it on other pc's, same thing, tried it on my MacBook, no noise.. even though its connected to the same power strip.. What can this be, and how should I fix it.. If i can.. Thanks..
Kalet
Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Avid

Default Re: High-Pitched Noise when in PT

See the General Troubleshooting thread - it has several suggestions for fixing this problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the fast response.. Im going to try all these out.. Hopefully it fixes the problem.. Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM

I still have the original MBox, and recently got a new desktop and suddenly I got the noise. Researched much, even bought a monster USB cable which worked for some. Not me. Finally, I plugged in my monitor amp into a different circuit and all was well.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM

So your saying it was not the interface.. It was your monitors.. Cause i have it connected to the pc and i get that sound.. but i also have a MacBook, and it is connected, in the same circuit, monitors in same place, and interface in same spot and I dont get the noise anymore...?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:23 PM

It was definately being generated by the PC, as it didn't happen on my old one. But for me after trying everything that was suggested the only thing that worked was what I ended up doing. I'm sure there's some sceintifc explanation, but I wouldn't know what it is, something to do with grounding I suppose.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Yeah I think that it does have to do with Grounding... but i need an easier way out of it other than taking the PC apart..
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 AM

A freind of mine had this a type of high pitched nose with Mbox 2 mini going to a Mackie mixer then to Event monitors. Replacing all audio cables (4 in total) with balanced cables fixed it.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM

i have the same problem...except it goes away when i by pass my mixer.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:20 AM

May very well be the ground loop problem. Does the "whine" change and vary when you move your mouse around, click on things, open plugins, etc?

One solution is to get a cheapo ground fault loop isolator like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/GROUND-LOOP-ISOL...d=p3286.c0.m14

replace the cables running to your amp or powered monitors with that. now, this can dull your sound ever so slightly. but it didn't bother me much.

but finally I figured out if I plugged everything into the same power socket, my noises went away. Even in different sockets in the same outlet, I got noise. I have one powerstrip connected to the wall, and all other powerstrips plugged into that one. anything else that's physically connected to your system, but plugged in somewhere else can introduce noise though (like a reamped guitar amp or something like that), so keep that in mind.