How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 AM

Default What is the BEST external H.D. for Pro Tools LE

Hello Everybody,

I tried to find this posted elsewhere and I could not find anything so let me ask your opinion.

What is the best external hard drive for use with Pro Tools LE? I have a M Box running on a XP DELL Inspiron 8600 - it works allright if you were wondering. I say get a Mac, anyways - not to start any wars.

I want to get an external enclosure to do some recording on, I have a firewire port so thats not a concern, but I wanted to know which is a good option. Is it just a minimum spec that I am looking for, or are there specific manufacturers that design "audio recording specific" drives. Thank you for your input.

If you have one an want to sell it let me know too I was at a shop and they were trying to get me to lay down 3 bills for a drive that was "made for PT", but I don't buy it. I do not see why there is any reason I have to use some special labeled, overpriced drive. On top of that, the people that know what I should get, at the music shop, are trying to get their commish. I can go online and get 300gB HD for under 100 bones. so... let me know.. thanks again

Kurt
Triton LE
etc etc... I am switching to a PC
Old 06-02-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: What is the BEST external H.D. for Pro Tools LE

I have used a handful of drives and for the money I like the LaCie drives the best. I'm sure you already know this, but you have to use a drive that spins at 7200. I have never had any problems with the LaCie drives, and for around $50.00 you can purchase rack moune ears.

Just thought I would let you know what's working for me.

Good luck
Old 06-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: What is the BEST external H.D. for Pro Tools L

You could get a granite digital hotswap and put the best drives...seagates, in them...or the drive of yer choice.

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-09-2005, 07:19 PM

Default Re: What is the BEST external H.D. for Pro Tools LE

I'm not sure you can absolutely trust any external drives- or internal for that matter (just had to replace mine in my powerbook). I've had mine die, and I know tons of other people that have had many different kinds go. Actually a pc user i know had two- one for back-ups and another for backing up the backups. Both went within like a day. However, I have heard of a few people switching from lacies over to glyphs. I'm probably gonna get a glyph for my next one. I think they also give you like a 3 year warranty which is better than others. I'd leave the external drive just plugged into one computer and wouldn't use it as a portable drive. Get another smaller, less expensive one if you need to have something portable (then you can use it for backups of important stuff too). Maybe partition as well if you're not planning on using it strictly for pro tools sessions. Just my suggestions.

scott