Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-04-2020, 12:22 PM

Default Re: New Product Releases - Please post here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Nice! I'd be interested to see what you think of the plugin. I took a good listen to the demos. Got the flavour although I remember the real thing being a thicker, meatier sound?

I've had a good few of the Musitronics originals in my time, Phasor II, Mutron III, Octave Divider. I never did have the Bi-Phase but I used it in the studio. All great sounds for sure.

The Mutron III I bought from eBay was a batch of new old stock ones that appeared the best part of 20 years ago. These were the last ones which had the internal transformer rather than the external monstrosity. I think it was when ARP took over them before ARP went bust? The vendor modified them to 220V use on request which suited me fine in the UK. Anyhow, long gone to a new home I'm afraid.

You can get the plugin by itself but at €99 for one you might as well get the three for €49

https://www.arturia.com/products/sof.../phaserbi-tron

Stephen
The demos left a LOT to be desired. They don't do a wet/dry comparison and one of the guitar demos has an out of tune guitar. The walkthrough video isn't much better. They use a lot of keyboards and precious little guitar which is what this was originally developed for. That it worked on a keyboard was a sideshow. I know that now a lot of plugins find use on all kinds of sources but that's because a developer makes it so.

And you're right about the real thing having more low end heft to it. Same thing for IKMM with their emulation of the Mutron III envelope follower. It's screechy as hell and requires way more input level that the original h/w version.

Unless I get some kind of discount deal from Arturia I'm giving it a pass. It's overpriced and Arturia is tone-deaf with their pricing in these times.

QAPLA!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:19 AM

I just picked these effects up myself, but have yet to give them a good thrashing.

What I can say about analogue devices, though, is something, I've said many times... they're not all the same. Asides from the wear and tear and the repairs the see over time, and the margin for error in component manufacturing (tolerances), components are often swapped out all the time as they need to work with what's available. The more older the device, the more this is likely to happen.

This is why you would see noticeable differences with plugins. After all, they didn't model the device you have access to, they modelled another one and its slightly different characteristics. That in turn will be running through a pristine signal chain, which will be very much unlike how anybody is using the real deal. So of course its going to sound a bit different.

You're right about the demos not being that great though. I try to hear past that and picture what it is they can do for other instruments. There is certainly an iconic aesthetic about the effects. Retro isnt everything though. People so often over romanticise things of the past without realising stuff was never really as good as how they are picturing it.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/

Looks great! I really like some of my IK MM products. I don't like the install, authorisation or download policy. Hopefully they will upgrade those too at some point?

Anyhow, I'll look to upgrade to AmpliTube 5 when the price is right.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 11-16-2020, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/

Looks great! I really like some of my IK MM products. I don't like the install, authorisation or download policy. Hopefully they will upgrade those too at some point?

Anyhow, I'll look to upgrade to AmpliTube 5 when the price is right.

Stephen
I only recently got V4, I resisted it for the longest time, but I had T-Racks, SampleTank & Syntronik, it started to make sense to work my way towards a Total Studio bundle as it would be cheaper to keep everything up to date in the long run. I'm just not really impressed with it right now as I have most of what it offers, or better. So I'm waiting for Total Studio 3 presently.

As for Amplitube 5, I'm holding for either a sale price or the aforementioned Total Studio 3. Well in all fairness it is on sale, but it's Black Friday and I'm finding myself gravitating to even bigger markdowns that you only ever usually see this time of year.