Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 AM
amagras amagras is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,011
Default True or False or

I made this little survey a while ago and I would like to hear what you guys think of the results. I completely made up the first option, if there's a remote possibility that the proximity effect is not a problem in the box I swear I don't see how. The second one however...
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools 2018
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM
mjslakeridge's Avatar
mjslakeridge mjslakeridge is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,040
Default Re: True or False or

I would say both are false. But then I started out on analogue equipment, so I may know too much.
__________________
"Whiskey Bottle...Brand New Car...Oak Tree You're in my Way" RVZ

Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Windows XP Home SP3, AMD Phenom II 1045T Processor, Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2019, 02:54 PM
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nashville
Posts: 34,488
Default Re: True or False or

Both are false.



Proximity effect happens at the microphone(regardless of analog or digital recording). But also consider, proximity effect can be a problem, or it can be a blessing. It depends on how its used(and was it on purpose or by accident).



Gain Staging is absolutely still important, although somewhat different, especially when it comes to recording levels. (There is no reason to "slam" the input meters in any DAW because you have no tape noise to be concerned with).
__________________
Gigabyte X79/intel i7 3930K, 32GB RAM, DIGI003 Rack
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Ryan Young's Avatar
Ryan Young Ryan Young is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,586
Default Re: True or False or

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I made this little survey a while ago and I would like to hear what you guys think of the results. I completely made up the first option, if there's a remote possibility that the proximity effect is not a problem in the box I swear I don't see how. The second one however...
Both are false... recording one ADR session will prove it.
__________________
-Ryan Young

•Pro Tools 12.6 (x2)
•OSX 10.11 & 10.12
•Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (x2)
•16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (x2)
•HD Native PCIe (x2)
•HD Omni (x2)
•192 i/o
•96 i/o
•4 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
•Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM
64GTOBOY's Avatar
64GTOBOY 64GTOBOY is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 627
Default Re: True or False or

IME both false. I could be wrong, but I'm positive.
__________________
Dell XPS 8900 i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 32 Gig Memory:Seagate 2 TB,1TB,4TB,500gb EVO OS Windows 7 Ultimate
PT 18.7 Native through A&H Qu-32
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2019, 04:59 PM
amagras amagras is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,011
Default Re: True or False or

Before this thread go on I want to say that I believe the second is true, I base my opinion in this:
https://youtu.be/Ph1M3QZGku8
However I welcome anyone who's willing to convince me otherwise, I'm here to learn.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools 2018
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Top Jimmy's Avatar
Top Jimmy Top Jimmy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,963
Default Re: True or False or

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Before this thread go on I want to say that I believe the second is true... However I welcome anyone who's willing to convince me otherwise, I'm here to learn.
Gain staging is supremely important because it begins at the preamp.

Send your session off to a top tier mixer and you're going hear about it if he has to bring relative gains into the ballpark before he even begins mixing. Proper gain staging of all the elements in the mix from start to finish makes everyone's job so much easier.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
James Cadwallader

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM
amagras amagras is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,011
Default Re: True or False or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Gain staging is supremely important because it begins at the preamp.

Send your session off to a top tier mixer and you're going hear about it if he has to bring relative gains into the ballpark before he even begins mixing. Proper gain staging of all the elements in the mix from start to finish makes everyone's job so much easier.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have to make more clear that I'm talking about audio when its been already converted to digital (hence the "in the box in the original poll). Preamp is still analog.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools 2018
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Top Jimmy's Avatar
Top Jimmy Top Jimmy is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,963
Default Re: True or False or

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I have to make clear that I'm talking about audio when its been already converted to digital. Preamp is still analog
If you're going to narrow the scope like that, your argument becomes moot because gain staging begins at the pre amp and if you negate the analog side, you're not talking about gain staging. All you want to argue about is digital headroom without loss of resolution.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
James Cadwallader

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Sierra 10.12.6.

Pro Tools HD 2018.12, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:27 PM
amagras amagras is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,011
Default Re: True or False or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If you're going to narrow the scope like that, your argument becomes moot because gain staging begins at the pre amp and if you negate the analog side, you're not talking about gain staging. All you want to argue about is digital headroom without loss of resolution.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then I'm right!
I understand the importance of proper gain staging but once you have everything inside Pro Tools you only have to worry not to saturate the analog algorithms of analog emulation plugins and the master/converters. That can easily be done with clip gain and the channel faders....unless you mean that once ITB gain staging doesn't exist at all
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools 2018
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"A VST Wrapper is a VST Wrapper" True or False? DBK AAX Plug-ins 9 12-23-2014 09:38 AM
MIDI CC - True of False eitw Pro Tools 11 19 09-22-2014 03:45 PM
Eleven Rack / Avid is not producing anymore Eleven Racks is that true or false? Rongpat Eleven Rack 8 02-11-2014 07:42 AM
New G4...false alarm.. Seller Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 19 08-27-2002 06:11 PM
Pro Tools 5.1: Does it sounds better? TRUE OR FALSE??? joy4u Tips & Tricks 7 03-07-2001 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com