Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-20-2019, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Critique and Advice for Mixing and Mastering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones Up Records View Post
https://soundcloud.com/hash-bonesup/...by-austin-marc

uploaded the track F natural minor track, soundcloud servers are slow it may not be updated yet
Thanks. Automatic pitch correction never works for me when working with rap artists, even when the key is right the typical off key rapping often triggers really bad leading voices, that's why I prefer to hook a midi controller to the tune plugin and guide the singer through the most natural melody path, they always appreciate it and call it "smooth" even though forcing the melody away from its original path can create bigger autotune artifacts. Good job!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:21 AM

I feel that pitch correction on rap vocals is played out and generic, but the main critique I have received is to be more "mainstream" so I use it sparingly here and there. So many people sound the same these days like they are all copying each other there is no originality. I would rather be original then popular.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I feel that pitch correction on rap vocals is played out and generic, but the main critique I have received is to be more "mainstream" so I use it sparingly here and there. So many people sound the same these days like they are all copying each other there is no originality. I would rather be original then popular.

Then don’t listen to what other people tell you. Do what you want to do and be original.

If you want to have a crack at being popular, sound like everyone else. If you wanna make some art, do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Then don’t listen to what other people tell you. Do what you want to do and be original.

If you want to have a crack at being popular, sound like everyone else. If you wanna make some art, do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A combination of both, low popularity and the art I want to make is what I aim for
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM

I wouldn't want to be popular, I would much prefer to be rich!
Heavy auto tune can be creative and fun to play with but you can't just leave the plugin do all the work, you have to use a keyboard to control the effect but that should be the producer's work, not the mixing engineer
Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Updated the track. It sounds great now!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:48 AM

Awesome but I think this one is too distorted, you must have limited the master too much because the bass is pushing the voice back. The first mix sounded better to me.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:

Updated the track. It sounds great now!
Cool track man! I like how you have separated all the elements in the stereo mix.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Awesome but I think this one is too distorted, you must have limited the master too much because the bass is pushing the voice back. The first mix sounded better to me.
That may be true I'm mixing on headphones. The mix sounds cleaner though for sure I cleaned up the frequencies. It was audibly better maybe I just destroyed it with limiter. Also I think my ears are more sensitive than normal because I hear changes in frequencies that the human ear supposedly can't hear. Gotta mix it again when I have a chance my laptop is currently at the pawn shop. THE PAINN!