Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Default Waves alternatives?

I'm hoping that Waves will come out with native AAX soon, and DSP AAX someday, so I won't have to abandon Waves.
For those of you who have jumped ship, what have you found that will substitute for the following (my personal list of "can't live without" plugs)?

L2 Ultramaximizer
Renaissance Vox
MaxxBass

Also good general purpose EQs and compressors.
I use Renaissance EQ and Compressor but have never been enamored of them.

I'm curious what other Waves users think are the Waves plugs they would find it hard to give up?

I'm also looking for a replacement for DUY Tape for general "thickening", since I doubt DUY will ever finish their AAX port. Slate Digital VTM?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Waves alternatives?

start with McDSP, they have 14 day demos of there stuff

now if Steve would get some AAX out the door....

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 AM

This topic has been covered hundreds of times.
But Waves has nothing outstanding or unique in their product line, so it's very easy to replace with better, cheaper and more versatile alternatives.

EQ Transparency:EQ3, Avid Channel Strip, MDW EQ, DMG, Sonnox, Brainworx e.t.c
EQ Color (alike Reneisance but Better) McDSP FilterBank, URS, Softube, Bluecat e.t.c
Dynamics: Nugen ISL, Sonnox Dynamics, Massey L2007, McDSP, Softube CL1B

Reverbs: well, Waves never had anything worth mentioning in this area.

So the answer:

L2 Ultramaximizer - Nugen ISL, Massey L2007, McDSP ML4000....they all are much better than L2
Renaissance Vox - Softube CL1B, Sonnox Dynamics
MaxxBass - Metric Halo Thump http://apps.avid.com/metric-halo/
Also there are other Bass synthesisers I just don't use them much as I work in post.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Waves has nothing outstanding or unique in their product line, so it's very easy to replace with better, cheaper and more versatile alternatives.
Disagreed.

If one has certain workflow, it is rather difficult to replace plugins with something else that theoretically does the same job.

Take the SSL-series for example. How many of you have found a replacement for the E-series channel strip? Maybe a Sonnox EQ coupled with Sonnox Dynamics, only having to open two plugin windows simultaneously.

Or the C6 which is magnificent, which plug to replace it? The GUI is really simple and one can get desired results very fast.

Opinions do vary regarding L2 replaced with Massey Limiter (granted, this is the easiest to replace).

The story goes on and on so no reason to make the list longer.

That said; Waves do not have "hundreds" of plugins that fall into that "irreplaceable" category, but I would still consider mixing without Waves at least "somewhat crippled". Not because of the quality of the plugins, but the WORKFLOW. That is exactly why many cannot consider switching from Protools to Logic, because of the workflow change.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM

The bigger question: what can possibly substitute for The King's Microphone?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM

ejwells wins...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 AM

I know that most of you will disagree....but after having too many plugins, also including Waves Diamond TDM, I found:
1. All EQ's and Compressors are the same.
2. There are only few really transparent look ahead limiters.
3. Reverbs - get the one you use the most. You can manage with it for other stuff too.
4. Noise Reduction - never enough.
5 Get some funky stuff like Sound Toys for weirdness.

Don't over process. Keep it simple. If its not, most probably plug-ins will only make it worse.

Don't buy plugins because of a newer fancy graphics or "users story" ..."This plugin has changed my life forever! I am a better mixer now! I started to hear what I was missing!"

The workflow is important and I am a big fan of Pro Tools.
But I don't see how swapping EQ or using a different multiband compressor can affect my workflow.
Now, it's all specifically works for me but lots of people will strongly disagree with my POV.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 AM

If my Kush UBK-1 sounded the same as my BF2A, I'd sell it.
It doesen't, so I haven't.
There's also a lot of sonic and operational differences between, let's say, a Massenburg EQ and a Massey EQ.
It has nothing to do with how they look, or what I read about them.
So, while I don't want to start a big thing here, I'll just say that the statement "all compressors and EQs are the same" is simply not true.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Disagreed.

If one has certain workflow, it is rather difficult to replace plugins with something else that theoretically does the same job.

Take the SSL-series for example. How many of you have found a replacement for the E-series channel strip? Maybe a Sonnox EQ coupled with Sonnox Dynamics, only having to open two plugin windows simultaneously.
Would you consider the SSL Duende plugs from SSL themselves a worthy replacement in this case?

QAPLA!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Would you consider the SSL Duende plugs from SSL themselves a worthy replacement in this case?
If I can run them with HD hardware, then yes. If it still requires 3rd party hardware dongle, then no.