Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 AM

Default I don't want to...

keep nagging about the same problem but, I can't get PT's 9.0.2 on Windows 7. 32 bit to play nice when I attempt to change pitch,(Keys)! I have followed all the helpful siggestions given here on the DUC but nothing works. I choose samples, I was told that Ticks was only needed for other purposes but I;ve tried both). I choose Elastic Audio after selecting audio. Then I right click on the seletion, then choose semitones up or down in the resulting Elastic Properties window. I alwys get a popup saying, "No Audio was seleted"!
Could this be a problem with my PT's version? Please help, again! Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Default Re: I don't want to...

Hey Terry, read this entire post as I had thoughts arrive NOT in order . I would update to 9.0.3(but no higher), but I don't know if it will help. Step #1(for me anyway), I would trash prefs.(you will need to reset them the next time you open Pro Tools, but that only takes a few minutes). To use Elastic Pitch, you must use the polyphonic algorythm. When you select(highlight) the audio you want to change the pitch of, separate the region("clip" for 10 users) before going to Elastic Properties(if you are selecting part of a larger region, but not separating, that could be the problem).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-29-2012, 05:54 AM

Thanks albee1952. I'm still working on this and have decided to take it to my rep at Sweetwater for answers. As you probably know their help desk can dial me up and analyze the problem remotely. Anyway, I wasn't going to stop production on the song just for a lousy key modulation. Thankfully I am still comptent musically and just did it manually, no problem. However, I still want to know what, if anything, I am doing wrong just in case I need the feature for changing pitch. I'll try your revised remedy except for upgrading to PT's 9.0.3. I'm a little aprehensive of that since the basics are working fine where I'm at with 9.0.2. Thanks for your kind help.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Albee's advice about 9.0.3 is good. You should be using it. Just make an image first
Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Smile Re: I don't want to...

Another of my dumb questions! Please tell me how Imake an Image ! Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM

To make an image (which is a backup of your system drive), you'll need to purchase the software. There are a few available but the one I and many other users employ is Acronis True Image. Just google it. Acronis is very easy to use and is awesome. I use it on all my PCs. My backups have got me out of some serious trouble in the past. I hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM

Hey Zinman. Thanks and I'm sorry for not responding sooner but I still have not been successfull at Changeing Pitch with Elastic Audio. I can draw no conclusion at this time other than it must be a problem in PT's 9.0.2 (?). Anyway, I have Acronis installed on my PC but I don't know if it's the full meal deal. Each time I crank up the pc there is a brief screen that says "Starting Acronis" or something to that effect. Does this mean I'm good to go ?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Start by deciding WHERE you want to save the backup image(I use external USB drives). Open Acronis and select "Disk and Partition Backup". Then make sure the C: drive is checked(it should be by default). Lower down on the same screen, you will select destination(Acronis may already have a drive selected and a folder named "MyBackups". At the bottom, you can name the backup(like "ProToolsDec7"). Follow the prompts to finish(don't plan on doing anything with the computer while its creating the image). Either before or afterwards, I would also create a recovery boot disk(with a blank CD-R). With that, you can boot from the CD and restore your system drive to any image you have saved(I have several as I never install an update without saving an image FIRST).

BTW, using TICKS mode is needed if you want Elastic Audio to stretch audio for changing tempos(IOW, you have a song recorded at 105bpm and you want to hear it at 100 or 110bpm). For changing pitch, only the Polyphonic algorithm works(even though you would be inclined to choose Monophonic for things like bass or a vocal, you still MUST use Polyphonic).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave