Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 AM

Default Re: 1) "Save Copy In" command does NOT make a complete copy! 2) How to properly back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNA View Post
Thanks Musicman691! So there is no danger of making copies via just right-click and copy/past in Finder? I was training under a professional sound designer and I know that that is what he did, yet like I said in my question, EVERYONE on the internet said that that was not reliable was to. That's why I am so confused now! (yes I do system backups - Two different time machines and CCC clones)

You should be warned that if you make a session folder copy like this and then open and work in the copy while the original session folder is still present, any file that gets created will get put in the original folder. If you then think it's subsequently ok to delete the original session folder, you'll find you have missing stuff the next time you open the copy session.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-28-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Re: 1) "Save Copy In" command does NOT make a complete copy! 2) How to properly back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
If you don’t want to touch the original session, just save a copy of the session and work on that. There’s zero need to duplicate the audio files etc.

Having a backup of everything is a good idea, but duplicating the .ptx file and working on that won’t affect any of the audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What if you use AudioSuite plugins? Doesn't that destructively affect the audio?

QAPLA!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM

Of course, but it doesn’t erase the original audio.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What if you use AudioSuite plugins? Doesn't that destructively affect the audio?
Not by default. AS renders a new clip/file unless you select "overwrite" and then you get a bunch of warnings telling you it is destructive.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Not by default. AS renders a new clip/file unless you select "overwrite" and then you get a bunch of warnings telling you it is destructive.

Yep.

BTW, I’ve never met ANYONE that uses it like that. I’m sure there is someone doing it that way, but it must be a very rare use case scenario.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM

Anyhow printing new AS generated files to old location is a bad idea because if the audio files are not connected to the session file folder you can easily just delete the old folder without thinking much, thus losing the new files that belong to the modified session
Old 05-28-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNA View Post
But that is not the culprit in my case, because when I look at the Clip List and select Unused Files ….it highlights almost 100 unused files — NOT just 16!
In case you didn't know, a single audio file in the folder can have multiple clips referring to that file. So having 100 unused files (you probably mean Clips), is normal if those clips are no longer in use in the session. (In the Clip List, the names in bold correspond to an actual audio file. Otherwise, those are clips of those files).

As someone said, the best way to ensure that the backed up session is ok is to open it. You can also open the workspace to see if all audio files are located in the Audio Files folder of the backed up session.

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 05-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbourque View Post
best way to ensure that the backed up session is ok is to open it
Yes but be aware that this isn't always enough! IF your session has audio files linked outside of the session folder, just opening the session tells you that it is okay now -- but once you delete the needed files outside of the session folder, you're screwed.

Only way to be 100% sure is to consolidate (as in create new audio files inside your session folder) and then backup the session folder. Save Copy In should streamline this.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 PM

If people got in the habit of checking their Disk Allocation regularly and using the Session Browser they'd sure save themselves a lot of grief. The Session Browser window has everything you need to easily and quickly confirm that all your assets are where you think they are, and if not to move or copy and relink them into the correct place.

I'm not disagreeing that consolidating is a decent way to guarantee stuff is encapsulated in the session, but it won't do you any good if your disk allocation is incorrect, and it does generate an awful lot of extra data.

Just sayin...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6