Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Alternate techniques for De-Essing

Hey guys! I don't know if this is a valid method of de-essing. It seems to work for me! scan the sss's with the selector tool, go to audiosuite gain and reduce the gain level to where the sss is no longer audible or at least reduced to an unobjectionable level. (Pro Tools 9).
Old 10-25-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Hey guys! I don't know if this is a valid method of de-essing. It seems to work for me! scan the sss's with the selector tool, go to audiosuite gain and reduce the gain level to where the sss is no longer audible or at least reduced to an unobjectionable level. (Pro Tools 9).
that's what i do , better than any plug, i'm on HD 8 and go with audio suite gain all the time
that's save me 1500 bucks the upgrade to HD10, i have all the plug mentioned on the post but lowering the gain is the way to go (and save time not adjusting a plug) i do also for plosives or other unpleasant stuff, another trick: if you do elastic polyphonic and choose an algorithm for vocals male or female, you have already clip gain (can only lower the gain) clip gain is always been inside protools, but Avid decide to get paid for this.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:16 PM

Kenny , your videos are superb

..., and I find that your own personal method of presenting your GROOVE 3 videos are by far the best and most easy to follow of all other presentations that I have seen
..., Looking forward to seeing your next Vid
Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam green View Post
Kenny , your videos are superb

..., and I find that your own personal method of presenting your GROOVE 3 videos are by far the best and most easy to follow of all other presentations that I have seen
..., Looking forward to seeing your next Vid
So nice of you to say that.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM

The best de-esser is the Waves Desser not to be confused with the the RDessor..or like the poster using clip gain.

Here is an old trick I use to do when in a hurry and didn’t want to use a desser plugin.

Create a duplicate track underneath the vocal, then move your first sliced “ss" clips onto it, now adjust the HF EQ and lower the gain to suit..once you’ve set the first one it’s just a case of moving the others. You can also trim the reverb & fx so the ss isn’t being sent as much.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Al View Post
The best de-esser is the Waves Desser not to be confused with the the RDessor..
Everyone has their own preference. I find the Waves DeEsser to be the worst out there. To me it colors the sound of the signal in a very, very audible way. So much so, that I sometimes use it as an EQ to achieve certain effects.

My goto DeEssers are FabFilter Pro-DS, SPL and Waves Ren.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 06-20-2015, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Everyone has their own preference. I find the Waves DeEsser to be the worst out there. To me it colors the sound of the signal in a very, very audible way. So much so, that I sometimes use it as an EQ to achieve certain effects.

I disagree, just because the RDessor has a phase cross over to eliminate the colouration, doesn’t make it better, it has a very different effect on the ss, and the compressor threshold I find reacts completely differently. The De-essor might be it’s basic little brother but it works exceptionally well, I don’t find the colouration off-putting as long as it naturally controls the sibilance.

It can control hi hats ss & shh with a nice gentle compression. I’ve used this for years with no odd results at all, it doesn’t always work on strong sibilance, but thats the nature of de-essing, sometimes I have to double it up, or I have to do more manual editing.

Each to their own I suppose
Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Big thumbs up on the FabFilter Pro-DS - always does the trick for me.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Another vote for Fabfilter Pro-DS. It is the first transparent De-Esser I have used. I used to draw down the "sss", but once Fabfilter hit the market I don't even bother. I'm not a "this is the best..." type of guy. But I feel safe in saying this is the best plugin De-Esser going. I haven't tried the DMG one that came after. No need to try another de-esser for me at this time.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:55 AM

+1 on Fabfilter Pro-DS... most De-esserssss seem to have totally the opposite effect by actually drawing your attention to the 'S'sss (smearing them), & exacerbating the problem...

Whilst not perfect, Fabfilter Pro-DS is definitely the most transparent I've come across (& quick & easy to setup too).