Avid Scorch (iOS) Forum

Scorch Forum Home Page

Forum Terms of Use

Scorch for iPad Support FAQ

Avid Scorch

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Avid Scorch (iOS) Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Default Scorch won't open Sibelius files

I am trying to open files I made in Sibelius on my ipad2 with Scorch.
I emailed the files, opened them and selected Open in Scorch
Scorch opens and I see the file, click on it and click Open and it says 'There was a problem loading the score'
A few opened but there was no play arrow
Old 03-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Angry Re: Scorch won't open Sibelius files

Hi Mike, Scorch is very, very, very buggy! Not convinced 1.1 is actually an improvement and wish I could go back to 1.
I find, if a file fails to open, you can click it, and it will usually open the second time. However when you get that error message, the menu bar with play and everything isn't visible and you actually see the initial menu bar with things like store. However, the menu bar is there and you can play by clicking where you know the play button to be! Crazy.
I have reported this as a bug in another thread.
To reset scorch, try closing scorch by double clicking the black square button and when you see all the active icons with a red button, close it. I see someone from Avid is responding to some messages but not most of them. I was hoping that there would be an upgrade but its unlikely as they have our money and we are not important. I think they have a 6 month cycle.
I bought forScore and am now converting my files into pdf. One day scorch may work but until then forScore does most things and I just use Scorch when I need to play back a sib file.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Scorch won't open Sibelius files

Hello Mikel77,

Which version of Sibelius are you using?

@Fraser.Sims

As I think you've found, the best way of resolving this problem is to restart Scorch. Which version of Sibelius are you using to produce these files? Are you finding that this affects scores that you've purchased from the store too?

Best wishes,

Joe
Old 07-22-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser.Sims View Post
... Scorch is very, very, very buggy!
I have hundreds of lead sheets in what might be v3 Sibelius. They often crash Scorch. Even simple files in v5 can crash it.
Does anyone else have problems with older files?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Hi, most of my scores were created with G7 (sibelius 3?) and they are about 3 pages long. Yes I get random crashes and various other errors. I have upgraded to sibelius7 now principally because G7 doesn't work on lion. However with all the issues with scorch and the delays in getting them fixed, I just use scorch for playing back the files and quick transpositions both of which still work and checking what i have got. Its no use even for practice.
For everything else, I convert the file to PDF (G7 can print to acrobat on windows xp) but Sibelius 7 exports to PDF . I bought forScore for playing as search works and you can easily Create set list and it works with AirTurn.
It's a pain having to convert the files, but at least forScore works, and if a bug is reported, they get a fix out in a few days. Not ideal but as I usually have a few days notice and Sibelius 7 is great for formatting my old scores for the iPad, it's a workable solution. At leas my Sibelius files are getting formatted ready for when scorch is finally upgraded (in 2015?).