Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2020, 01:11 PM

Default Can you set up an external midi as a VST?

If you have an external midi whose sounds you like is there any way to set it up as a VST in an instrument track. Or something similar. Just because it is kind of a technical pain to set up a midi track, aux track, and remember the external midis settings.

Here is a video of a guy doing what I'm talking about in cubase:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
Old 04-01-2020, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Can you set up an external midi as a VST?

There's probably 4 ways to do it, but here is how I would do it:
Create a MIDI track and an AUDIO track(mono or stereo according to the external midi device). The MIDI track is where you record(or pencil in, or paste...) the midi that will "play" the external sound module. On the AUDIO track, if you set it to INPUT monitoring(the green button), then you will hear the sound from the external unit(assuming correct routing) while you record/edit the midi information. Once you are happy with the midi performance, put the AUDIO track into record and print the sound from the external unit(you can always revisit later if you decide you need to change and re-record some or all of it). Using an AUDIO track on INPUT monitoring allows it to act like an AUX track until you actually record the audio.

Some will suggest using an INSTRUMENT track(which acts like a MIDI track and AUX track in one), which is fine except that eventually, you will want to record the audio, which needs to be on an AUDIO track anyway.

Re the term VST, it actually refers to a plugin format created by Steinberg(other formats being AAX, RTAS, AU, etc). Some people mistakenly use it to refer to a Virtual Instrument plugin(known as a VI plugin) or other mis-uses. Your external midi device isn't a VST, or a plugin. Its simply another audio source(a noise maker) which can be played from a midi keyboard(it may in fact BE a midi keyboard with internal sounds) but can also be "played" by midi from your PT session

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Can you set up an external midi as a VST?

I basically gave the same answer to the MIDI-aux thing as albee1952 in your other thread. I checked out the video link you posted and am not sure what you're really after here. Do you want patch lists (the ability to switch device program/combi) or do you want to send controller messages (i.e. filter) to outboard devices? Some stuff is beyond the scope of a simple discussion and takes some serious experimenting. VSTi and external gear are very different.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1