Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-23-2006, 03:28 AM

Default Parallel Compression in the box.

Hi - I'm trying to use parallel compression within my TDM system when mixing in the box , but experience phasing. Is there any way around this? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Parallel Compression in the box.

Quote:
Hi - I'm trying to use parallel compression within my TDM system when mixing in the box , but experience phasing. Is there any way around this? Thanks in advance.
Did you turn on Delay Compensation? That works with HD systems.

If you're on a Mix system you'll have to set up Aux busses, and then compensate for the dealy manually. I can tell you how to do it, but I'll wait to see what hardware you're using because it's a lot of typing...

Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 AM

There is a delay compensation plug-in can be inserted on the track without compression, and delay the track by the number of sample delays that the processed track is showing. When doing parallel compression, I usually just have the same compressor on both tracks, because I still lightly compress the first track and squash the second, and the delay will match.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the advice - I'm using HD Accel with a 192 interface , any more advice would be great!! Many thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:54 AM

Hi.

It would help if you posted PT version, and exactly what you're doing that causes phasing. I do this all the time ITB, and with outboard units. Works very well for me.

I simply choose short or long delay compensation in the Playback engine, make sure ADC is enabled (Options) and off I go.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:00 PM

I'm using 6.92 - I'm going to try delay compensation - and let you know how I get on.. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2006, 03:11 AM

Quote:
There is a delay compensation plug-in can be inserted on the track
Cool. I didn't know about this!!

I'm running PT7 LE, so that would realy help me!!

can tell me where to get this from, cos i can't find anything on google
Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 AM

You searched too far… you already have it (part of the standard complement of ProTools plug-ins). See your documentation for what’s what.

PS: This is the PT TDM forum. Please note that there is a forum dedicated to ProTools LE (scroll down from from the DUC’s main page and you’ll see it). While most of the PT software is the same for both platforms, each has its own set of exclusive features, issues and problems. Therefore, most answers to such will vary also—highlighting the wisdom of posting on the appropriate forum.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Funny, I just mixed a track last night and started playing with parallel compression on the lead vocal. It just felt a little thin and I wanted to beef it up. Firstly, I have delay compensation turned on for the session, that'll prevent any phasing. Then I added a send on the lead vocal track and sent it to bus-16. Then I setup a mono-aux and set the input to bus-16. I compressed the crap outta that aux, also rolled off a little of the bottom end on EQ, and mixed it in to taste. Sounds wonderful! Really adds body (a little vocal Pantene).

Is that the recommended way to do it in PT? I like the results, but want to make sure there isn't a better way...

--> freddie

www.vocomotion.com
www.DarkSideVoices.com
www.TheThumper.com