Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Consistent problems with my Digi 003 R

first off, let me say, i have owned this unit for about a year and a half, and actually have spoken with tech support about the first problem i will mention, which was resolved for a little while, but started up again. i currently own a pro mac 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with the OS 10.5.4. i am using pro tools 7.4.2 and have the digi 003 rack with the music production bundle. this is so commonplace that i have just learned to live with it, but really, shouldn't something that i shell out several thousands of dollars on be somewhat reliable? it's getting tiring to restart over and over again, in hopes that this time, the pro tools application will start up properly. i get this command every time i start up pro tools "Pro Tools cannot communicate with 003. Please reconnect the unit and press OK." this one is the biggest problems. i reconnect, i turn the digi rack off and on, i restart the computer, i have only the pro tools application open, yet it still gives me this error. with about 4 or 5 attempts at restarting and stuff, does it actually open up. i am using the fire wire connection, it is plugged straight into the back of my computer with a short fire wire cable (tech support told me i should do that). yet still the same BS. then occasionally, i get a message saying that "the application is already in use or pro tools is not installed on this computer", or something to that effect, i do not have the message up right now, but i got it a lot yesterday. and then, there is the problem of having to always re-authorize my ik-multimedia plug ins, which i read about a few issues in a forum, but did not address this specific problem. all my plug ins are updated, they are all registered online as well, it's that every time i wanna use amplitube and all else plug in, i need to put in the authorization codes in all over again. now, i know i sound like i am going on and on and whining about all this, but these problems are so freaking consistent and happen every time i want to work, that i am starting to go insane with frustration. am i so unreasonable to expect a good reliable product for the cash i pay? i mean, if i pay for a brand new car, i don't expect to have to restart it 4 or 5 times every time i want to drive it, and have it crash on me on a daily basis! or any product i pay for for that matter. thanks, and sorry for all the moaning------john
Old 08-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Avid

Have you tried the 003 connected to the front firewire port on the computer? Do you have any other firewire devices attached and, if so, what are they? Have you made sure that Firewire networking is disabled in the Network control panel?

Regarding the problems with IK Multimedia - have you tried this:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=24424
Old 08-20-2008, 05:59 PM

well, when i spoke with tech support, i was explaining that i was avoiding plugging a major connection in the front of the computer, avoiding it being kicked or hit or anything but, i will try that. as far as network utility, please describe how i can find that specific preference and so i can disable it, and i have an additional hard drive plugged into the firewire 800 port, which at this point, i cannot disconnect while i work on specific sessions (it contains audio files and so forth). mind you these are just the problems while starting up pro tools, not while working in it. thank you very much for the response
Old 08-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Have you upgraded the ROM on the 003?

Not sure it matters but I have a thread posted (error 9131 in the subject from a day ago). I had to update a 003 Factory's ROM after an install of the latest OS and PT 7.4.2.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojovoodoo View Post
well, when i spoke with tech support, i was explaining that i was avoiding plugging a major connection in the front of the computer, avoiding it being kicked or hit or anything but, i will try that. as far as network utility, please describe how i can find that specific preference and so i can disable it, and i have an additional hard drive plugged into the firewire 800 port, which at this point, i cannot disconnect while i work on specific sessions (it contains audio files and so forth). mind you these are just the problems while starting up pro tools, not while working in it. thank you very much for the response
not sure if this actually helps but I read that if your drive has a FW 800 and a FW 400 port, you should use the FW 400 to connect.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 AM

That's right... don't use FW800.
It's a Mac thing. I'd spend a couple more $ and get a SIIG FW 400 PCIe card and plug the 003 into that..I betting you won't have any more problems.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH View Post
That's right... don't use FW800.
It's a Mac thing. I'd spend a couple more $ and get a SIIG FW 400 PCIe card and plug the 003 into that..I betting you won't have any more problems.
Hey mojo, I used to have a lot of problems with firewire and after I got the SIIG FW card, its been smooth sailing ever since.
I think its definitely worth a try.
PT 8 cs2 OSX 10.5.8
Mbox 2 Pro, Mini, Micro
Old 08-21-2008, 01:11 PM

A friend of mine works at M-Audio, they have similar problems with their interfaces and newer intel macs (quad and 8 core). Their engineers traced the problem to the firewire controller in the mac. Apparently, apple will switch out your logic board for you with a different logic board that has a different (and better) firewire controller on it. But Apple will only do this if you complain about problems. Call the apple store, or go in, and tell them you are having problems with your firewire port and you think the firewire port is defective.

Or as Sky88d and BRH suggested, get a 3rd party firewire controller card (they are pretty cheap now) and use that with your 003.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojovoodoo View Post
as far as network utility, please describe how i can find that specific preference and so i can disable it,
See the General Troubleshooting link under my signature.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM

cool, thanks for all the helpful responses! i only use the FW800 for an external hard drive. i guess i could call apple support today and get that all sorted out.