Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-07-2020, 11:45 PM

Default Pro tools 2020.3 Crazy Cpu and Ram %

Hi guys! This is my first post in the community, so i hope it is okay, by any means i mean to throw garbage to pro tools or something like that. I love the software.
The thing is that i updated to 2020 as soon it got released and the folder feature is superb. BUT something happened with the ram usage and cpu.
in sessions in which i never had a problem with virtual instruments im now getting a peak at 90% with a very low quantity of instruments and even if i make them inactive theres no way to make the 90% to go down its like it won get purged. also, when i go from a work in progress session to a empty one the ram still peaks high.... 60% or something like that.
the only way to ''reset'' the ram is closing and opening pro tools again, but this is crazy, never happened to me in the older versions and i need a fix urgently, on this quarantine i need to deliver work so i can pay the rent and stuff and im not being able to.
im surprised that im not seeing any other threads about this. i ve another friend with the same exact problem.

Avid customer care hasn't return my complains so thats why i'm writing them here.

i can send any info you guys want, maybe its something on me.
i hope it can get fixed as soon as posible!
Best
Jero

Pd: Sorry for my english, not my native language
Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2020.3 Crazy Cpu and Ram %

A couple of thoughts.
1. Are you reporting 90% usage as CPU usage? And is this the meter in ProTools? What are you seeing in Task Manger/Activity Monitor? I would judge CPU usage by one of those methods and not ProTools CPU meter.
2. Is your concern just that you are seeing high CPU and RAM usage being reported? Or to rephrase the question, are you having issues playing back audio/VIs?
3. This will be a bit of a pain but load a single instance of each type of your VI into a session by themselves and see if any one VI is causing the issue. If no single one is then try adding a couple and seeing if you can’t figure out what combination of VI’s are causing this issue.
4. I would speculate that the high RAM usage is simply ProTools holding whatever it had previously in RAM over to the new session, and it will be replaced with new information as ProTools continues to buffer the session in memory (RAM). Or if you have a specific cache size set it could be that ProTools is provisioning the RAM for its self and so you are seeing ProTools provisioning the ram and there is nothin to worry about so long as you have the memory headroom. This again would depend on where you are seeing this high RAM usage in the ProTools system usage meters or in Task Manager/Activity monitor (Windows/OSX).
5. What VIs are you using. Maybe someone here has the same combo and can confirm that it is or isn’t working fine on their system?
6. Have you taken a look at Vienna Ensemble Pro VEPro? I personally can’t load all the VIs I want for my work into ProTools because as I like to say “ProTools doesn’t play nice with others”. So pretty early on I switched to hosting my VIs in VEPro and haven’t looked back since. I have gotten the latency good enough to where its not a huge bother to play in real time.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Old 04-08-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcowe View Post
A couple of thoughts.
1. Are you reporting 90% usage as CPU usage? And is this the meter in ProTools? What are you seeing in Task Manger/Activity Monitor? I would judge CPU usage by one of those methods and not ProTools CPU meter.
2. Is your concern just that you are seeing high CPU and RAM usage being reported? Or to rephrase the question, are you having issues playing back audio/VIs?
3. This will be a bit of a pain but load a single instance of each type of your VI into a session by themselves and see if any one VI is causing the issue. If no single one is then try adding a couple and seeing if you can’t figure out what combination of VI’s are causing this issue.
4. I would speculate that the high RAM usage is simply ProTools holding whatever it had previously in RAM over to the new session, and it will be replaced with new information as ProTools continues to buffer the session in memory (RAM). Or if you have a specific cache size set it could be that ProTools is provisioning the RAM for its self and so you are seeing ProTools provisioning the ram and there is nothin to worry about so long as you have the memory headroom. This again would depend on where you are seeing this high RAM usage in the ProTools system usage meters or in Task Manager/Activity monitor (Windows/OSX).
5. What VIs are you using. Maybe someone here has the same combo and can confirm that it is or isn’t working fine on their system?
6. Have you taken a look at Vienna Ensemble Pro VEPro? I personally can’t load all the VIs I want for my work into ProTools because as I like to say “ProTools doesn’t play nice with others”. So pretty early on I switched to hosting my VIs in VEPro and haven’t looked back since. I have gotten the latency good enough to where its not a huge bother to play in real time.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Hi Falcowe!
1. 90% is about the RAM, and last time i checked in the activity monitor it was using only 7 gb and in pro tools that 90%. Now i checked again, im in 80 % of ram on PRO TOOLS system usage and 7 gb of usage on the activity monitor.

2. The issue is that i cant playback the song... it always stops and sometimes it crashes.
3. The thing i tried was to FREEZE the VI tracks and the ram didnt go down BUT i saved the session like that, i just opened the session with the freezed tracks and now the ram is in 41 %, acceptable. what im noticing is that ive to reboot pro tools for the ram to clear.
now with the sesion in 41% i just unfreezed the tracks (5 omnis) and it went to 61, press played and pro tools crashed.. with a huge peak on the cpu 100% all in red. restarted, did it again, and it didnt crash.
4. I opened an empty session after the one that has the huge ram % and it peaks in system usage at 62% and in the activty monitor of macosx 4.67 gb . i rebooted pro tools and the activity monitor of mac osx shows 524 mb of ram being used on the same empty session.
5. im using 5 omnispheres and there is 20 audio tracks and 25 plugins.. bluecats, fabfilter, and some vallhala, nothing strange.
6. ill take a look at that! Thank u!

So the thing that i noticed the most with all this ''tests'' you made me do is that an empty session after a proyect shows almost 5gbs of ram usage and when i restart and open the same empty session it shows 500 mb. all of this in the activty monitor of mac osx.

Falcowe, thanks for your time to reply my post! it is helping me to to have a clear mind! <3
Old 04-08-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
A couple of thoughts.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Hey! i just looked up for the VEPRO and im shocked with the software, already planning to prepare a superwindows computer for hosting my VI, its amazing, im so glad that you showed that to me! I will probable dm you for questions about that, we can still try to resolve the mac issue tho!
THANK U
Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM

Hi Jero, I have also noticed a significant difference in CPU usage with 2020.3, but I also upgraded my OS as well. I made a detailed post about it here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...87#post2560687

I posted here because I was noticing video frames being dropped, so thought it better to post in the Post forum

I was not aware of any changes to RAM usage between the versions
Old 04-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroRomero View Post
Hey! i just looked up for the VEPRO and im shocked with the software, already planning to prepare a superwindows computer for hosting my VI, its amazing, im so glad that you showed that to me! I will probable dm you for questions about that, we can still try to resolve the mac issue tho!
THANK U
Sure thing feel free to DM me here.

In response to the tests you preformed.
1. How much ram does your machine have? Can you include a more complete specification list for your computer? It sounds like it has either 8GB or 16GB. Maybe try limiting how much ProTools provisions for itself under Setup -> Playback Engine -> Disk Playback "Cache Size" and changing it from what I assume you have it set to Normal right now to something like 512MB or so and see if that helps.
2. Are you getting any errors when ProTools stops/crashes? What is your buffer size at? Does increasing your buffer size help? As unlikely as I think this is it could be that ProTools is having trouble pulling audio from your drive. Are you running this session off a Hard-drive or an SSD? If the former is the hard drive fast enough? And, again however unlikely, you could try running a disk check via disk utility in OSX to make sure your disk isn't failing.
3. Does the high ram usage behavior follow for only one omni loaded (after a restart of ProTools)? To me the ram usage seems reasonable considering ProTools might just be holding the previous session in RAM until it needs to remove some information from RAM or ProTools provisioning off the RAM it thinks it needs causing the system to think it's in use. This would also explain why RAM usage is so much lower after a restart. It also could be a bug in omnisphere. I have a reverb plugin that works fine in 2019.12 but after updating to 2020.3 it won't work because there is a bug preventing it from opening in 2020.3. Have you contacted Spectrasonics to see if this is a bug?
4. Depending on your system specs I wouldn't be surprised to see CPU spikes causing issues here and there. And even crashing the session as ProTools might freak out for a moment as it tries to figure out the computations to make playback happen. If a higher buffer settings helps the CPU issue then it could be your CPU that is your bottle neck. It could also be your audio interface drivers having difficulty keeping up with low buffer sizes. What if your Audio interface?
Old 04-08-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
+1 for VE Pro, It makes PT usable again, You are right, PT's selfish, and doesn't like VI's. JeroRomero, If you use a lot of VI's you should get more RAM. At least 32GB.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroRomero View Post
THANK U
I use both PT and VE Pro on the same 8 core Windows PC with 64GB of RAM, and that makes a world of difference when I have to use lots of VI's. 32GB should work nicely though, if you separate most of your VI's from PT.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
A couple of thoughts.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Which VEP version are you running? I'm still on VEP6 in High Sierra and wondering if the VEP7 upgrade is worthwhile. I've held off due to licensing and support policies that seem odd to me (if I've read them correctly).

Thanks,
Sky

Mac Studio M2 Max 12/30/64GB/4TB, RME UFX III, Pro Tools Ultimate, MacOS Ventura.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytouch View Post
Which VEP version are you running? I'm still on VEP6 in High Sierra and wondering if the VEP7 upgrade is worthwhile. I've held off due to licensing and support policies that seem odd to me (if I've read them correctly).

Thanks,
Sky
I tried 7 some time last year, and though some things are better and easier (such as renaming tracks and changing colour) It wasn't very stable on my system; it would just dissappear sometimes. 6 was more stable for me (it doesn't crash) so I stuck with that. Maybe some of those bugs have been ironed out by now.