Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2002, 12:12 AM

Default Jules, and others (sound ?))

Jules, how much of an improvement have you received from the dangerous 2 bus??? I'm in the last stage of meetings with an investory, and I'm finally about to make the upgrades that I've mentioned on the board in the past.

What do you think of the Charles Dye theory of doing it all in the box with plugins?

I know you have the following tools, and I need to know how much you think they are essential to getting good mixes in pro tools and what type of improvement you've experienced with each
1 SSL/Smart compressor
2 Cranesong HEDD
3 FATSO
4 Distressors
5 Dangeous 2 bus

I'm doing mostly Rap/Rnb stuff and not many tracks end up being miked. How essential is it for me to invest in different pre/microphones? Will they make much of a difference in sound when used as DI for drum samples and midi module sounds?

Should I just invest in a quality stereo chain and leave it at that? (I can do overdubs for most parts and 2 channels at a time will suffice)
Or do you think I will need more for variety of tones?

Any help will be appreciated
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2002, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Jules, and others (sound ?))

Charles is a world class engineeer / producer. (and friend - Hi Charles!) He has developed his mixing style around plug ins and has become a master at it. You can be sure he is using an expansion chassis stuffed full of DSP farm cards!!

I do the Alt Rock / Indie band thing and started with analog outboard, so it's nice for me personally to have access to it again on mixdown... but that's just one opinion.

There are many ways to skin a cat!

The outboard list you present is excelent, all items will compliment digital / PT recording. And will see you well, for RECORDING whatever way you decide on mixing 'in' or 'out' of the box.

As for Pre's hmmm... ask around, mabe there is a 'golden' R&B pre.. Most folks say you cant go wrong with a Neve 1272 (Brent Avril racks old stock up) or the 9098 pre's.. In fact a pair of each would be excellent.. & cover quite a range of sounds..

As for EQ - a CONSTANT ITEM in all the R&B mixing interviews I have read seems to be API 550A EQ .. on kick & bass & snare.. I would study some more on that if I were you... You have your NTI for breathy vocals already right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I am a sucker for that sweet / 'breathy girl' R&B vocal sound..Also the production on Nelly is knocking me out through the TV set.. I must get the album.. (I also like some 'pop' hiphop.)

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com