Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2003, 02:42 PM

Default Pops and Clicks during playback

I am running a PT 5.3.1, 192 I/O, Mac G4 notebook PCI, OS 9.2, Studiomixer24, w/expansion chassis.

I tracked about 15 tracks@ 24bit, 48k simultaniously onto Data Express FW connected drives during a live preformance.
The Recording captured without any incident. No peaks appear in the edit waves.
When I play the tracks back, audible clicks and pops appear on the meters and in my monitors.

I have tried to adjust the DAE buffer size, as well as resetting different CPU usage sizes.
Nothing is working!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks
Rob.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:34 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Default Re: Pops and Clicks during playback

Have you made any changes to the sample rate or bit-depth?
Old 01-01-2003, 05:08 PM

Do you have any 3rd party firewire drivers installed? If so, remove them, and only use the Apple firewire drivers that came with OS 9.2.2

I am not familiar with your audio drives, are they compatible according to the digi specs? i.e. 7200rpm, Oxford 911 chipset, formatted using Apple erase disk (according to Digi instructions in the Firewire compatibility docs)?

Are the pops and clicks random or are they happenning at the same place every time?
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 01-01-2003, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundboy69:
Have you made any changes to the sample rate or bit-depth?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No I havent
Old 01-01-2003, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom Chic:
Do you have any 3rd party firewire drivers installed? If so, remove them, and only use the Apple firewire drivers that came with OS 9.2.2

I am not familiar with your audio drives, are they compatible according to the digi specs? i.e. 7200rpm, Oxford 911 chipset, formatted using Apple erase disk (according to Digi instructions in the Firewire compatibility docs)?

Are the pops and clicks random or are they
happenning at the same place every time?
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The drives are 7200rpm with Oxford 911 chipset. I am not the person who formatted the drives so I can't be certain (to my knowledge) that they were formatted with Apple erase disk.

The pops and clicks are random. They appear in different spots, on different tracks during each play. Sounds almost like an old LP.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Those are read errors.. don't do anything to the drive.. no utilities - as the read errors could be rewritten to make them permanent.. Try using the Finder to copy the session to another drive (how about SCSI) and see how it plays back from that.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-01-2003, 09:25 PM

how did u track them , i can remember having pops and clicks by recording f.ex dat to pt without setting pt to slave . ( clocking problems ) ???

maybe [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up:
how did u track them , i can remember having pops and clicks by recording f.ex dat to pt without setting pt to slave . ( clocking problems ) ???

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If that was the case they wouldn't be random,I also had this once trashing the pref's fixed it.
Chris
Old 01-02-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisaiken:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by 5down1up:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If that was the case they wouldn't be random,I also had this once trashing the pref's fixed it.
Chris
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm... it's always random if you have clocking problems...

-Robert
Old 01-02-2003, 01:27 PM

if u have recorded it using a " wrong " clock your fu**** . theres no way to fix it . the audio files wont synchronize right , and pops and clicks will occure ( it sounds like random , but it isnt [ whyever ??? cant explain but had my experiences with it [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ] ). i hope thats not the case . you cant fix it by trashing the prefs . the sync is recorded in the files . the clicks and pops occure when running out of sync .

hopefuly not , good luck