Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Looking for recommendations for Midi Keyboard Controllers

I'm looking for recommendations for a good midi keyboard controller, specifically for Pro-Tools M-Powered on a Intel like PC (Dual Core AMD). At the moment I'm using a Yamaha MM6 via the USB connection (not a bad low budget synthesizer), but as a controller find it limited. At the time that I purchased it I didn't realize the number of good plug-in software synthesizers that are available for pro-tools M powered. I have read reviews of the M-audio controllers, Korg controllers and Yamaha controllers but each has draw backs and good points so it would be good to hear of some experiences of users of pro-tools that actually use a product. Any and all information is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Looking for recommendations for Midi Keyboard Controller

I personally really enjoy the Axiom controllers. I use/have used both the 25 and the 61.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 PM

+1 - I use the axiom 49
Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Thanks both of you for your responses. I was leaning toward getting the Axiom 61 and I read some reviews of the Axiom (I realize that you can't please everyone) and a common thread appears to be the sliders feel cheap and the pads aren't that great. Do either of you use any of the g-force software synths, oddity or VSM and can you map the controls to better control the sliders on the software synth? I do plan to use the pads as I just purchased strike and would like some kind of pad control to tap on instead of using the keyboard. Thanks again in advance.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:51 AM

I agree with citi and spkguitar. I personally use the 49 and 61.

Since you mentioned Strike, have you had a look at the digi video demos? The demonstrator uses Axioms in all of his demo videos (hybrid, strike, etc).

That's enough advertisement right there, to peak my interest in axiom (being that's what the pros are using).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanks, I did watch the demo for Strike and that is what originally got up my interest in the Axiom, I did notice that is the keyboard that was being used. But, I have tried a Trigger Finger in store after watching the demo and it was nowhere as easy to use or worked as well as the demo showed so I am a bit skeptical of the demos. I did at one time have a Key Station 61es that I used with Session software and I liked that keyboard, but I'm looking for something with a bit more control. Asking for opinions and that is what you provided so thanks for the input.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM

Quite welcome.

Do you have a music store nearby, for you to try some out on the showroom floor? Check return policies, both for online stores and music stores.

Or, check with friends or even some local bands. Maybe you can try a few out that way.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM

Yes, there is a George's Music nearby and that is where I purchased the MM6, they have a 30 day return if not satisfied and match price policy. Really good people to deal with, no I do not work there. They are getting a bit tired of seeing me though Unfortunately it appears that all the Axiom keyboards are on backorder through on-line and retail outlets so I will have to wait to give one a try or order. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM

Also keep in mind, that the Axiom is more than just a Synth controller. You can also control protools track faders, panning, and playback.

As far as the pads, They feel pretty damn good. Not as good as my mpc2000 pads but still good. The sliders are good but, depending on what you are using them for there is a delay in reaction on the initial movement when using them on the mixer tracks. I forget what they call it but it's the amount of movement needed for protools to register it as a valid adjustment. Once pt sees it, the sliders move accordingly.

Having said that, I see no delay on the VIs. They are fluid.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 AM

Axiom 49 & 61 is a great all around controller. For Drum Pads nothing beats the features of Korg PadKontrol

www.stratfordtownstudios.com
stratfordtownstudio@gmail.com