Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 AM

Default Pro Tools not reading midi file ???

Hi there,

I am having trouble with pro tools 11.1.3 reading some midi tracks , but not others (within the same project )

I am currently songwriting / tracking a new song on pro tools 11.1.3 with about a dozen tracks recorded so far.

Those being a few guide tracks for vocal and guitar , and another Four of these are Instrument tracks.

The Instrument tracks ....., have these V.Is on the inserts;

- Track 1 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > session Horns Pro (1st instance) - Ok
- Track 2 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > session Horns Pro (2nd instance) - Ok
- Track 3 (stereo); EZY Drummer 2 - Ok
- Track 4 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > Realixox Blue ..., problem ?

I have written midi tracks for all these 4 different V.I tracks , and last night everything was playing back as it should ..., but ..., after last nights midi writing efforts on Instrument Track #4 ( ie; working on Backing vocal ideas using REALIVOX BLUE in Kontakt 5 )
....., I decided to call it a night, and went to shut down pro tools - and Pro tools CRASHED while doing so ( I sent the report off to avid as requested)

Now this morning I opened pro tools and everything seemed fine , and all tracks play back correctly as expected .................................................. ........................................,

Except for Instrument Track #4 > with Realivox Blue/Kontakt 5

....., where for some strange reason the midi file is not being read by either Pro Tools , or Kontakt and the meters are not showing anything (audio) being read either ????

The MIDI FILE "lane" ..., of Instrument track #4 (Realivox Blue) that is shown in the Edit window - is colored "light Gray" ? ..., and not light blue as all the other midi tracks are ( note; this was also light blue last night when all was working fine )

The strange part is - If I press a key with my mouse on the virtual keyboard within Kontakts GUI ( that has Realivox Blue loaded up) , I DO hear the sounds of Realivox blues vocal samples working ..., but it wont read the midi

EDIT (other weird stuff I just noticed) - The (newly) grayed out "color" of the midi lane itself also extends from the project start (even though no midi is written until later in the song) and also extends beyond the end of the midi file ..., and continues even past the end of the song ,

........, and when I scroll with the slider bar to past the end of the song I have noticed weird behavior in the bars and beat + minutes and seconds time scale rulers which I have loaded up in this current project ..., ie; once I scroll about 6 bars past the current songs ending ..., the bars and beat time scale ruler wont show anything at all (ie; blank), when usually it continues with an ascending numeric value of bars ?

........, and the mins and secs time scale ruler now shows (ie; beyond the 6 bars after the songs ending) - weird fonts almost looking like a mass of exclamation marks ??? Note this weird behavior is only happening 6 bars after the songs end , and NOT where I have recorded tracks (ie; during the song)

- I have also double checked to make sure all song clips are trimmed back to the song actual finish time (and yes, they currently are all trimmed back)

Things I have done so far to troubleshoot .........................,

- Made sure that nothing has been made inactive , and it all shows up as "Active"
- Ive loaded another V.I (instead of Kontakt) into Instrument track # 4 to see if that works in reading the midi file ..., But No nothing - same problem ?

- Ive gone to my session file backups (ie; before protools crashed on shutdown the previous night) ..., and reverted back to various earlier "saved " sessions - but the Midi lane still remains grayed out ?

- Ive opened up a NEW instrument track ( now being instrument track #5) and copied and pasted the midi from instrument track #4 into #5 , and added an UVI keyboard V.I into the insert ( just to see if that played back the coped midi file ..., but No , still nothing ?????

................., all the other V.I are all working fine playing their newly created midi files, ie; session horns pro in kontakt , and ezdrummer 2.

I was on a creativity "Roll" before this hickup killed me in my tracks, Can anyone please help shed some light

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 07-21-2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: just installer PT Ver 11.2.0 - same problem still :(
Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not reading midi file ???

Arghhh , going nuts here , I had Pro tools version 11.1.3 running before ...., so I just installed pro Tools version 11.2.0 just to see if that would fix the problem - but no Im still getting exactly the same problem .

- Could it be that when pro tools crashed upon me exiting pro tools , that the crach caused the project to get corrupted ( I dont know Im just stumped to work out what the hells going on )
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM

...., oh yeah - ive tried trashing prefs also . ...., this has not fixed the problem either ?????????????

- Not sure if this is relevant or not ..., but all input audio paths of the 4 V.Is I have loaded up are all set to "NO INPUT"

Just some things I noticed when the drop down (selector) box in the audio input path ..., it has 4 opening choices for selection ,

these are;

-Choice 1 = No Input
-Choice 2 = Interface
-Choice 3 = Bus
-Choice 4 = Plug-in

Even though "No Input" is selected for everything in the Audio Input path,
..., Ive noticed these PLUG-IN listings are highlights in Bold , when I have a peek under the plug-in tab within the Audio Input path drop down menu
...., which to me seems inconsistent (im not sure ) ......,

- Track 1 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > session Horns Pro (1st instance) -
This track is titled "brass LOW"
-

...., List these plugins all show up in Bold ...............................,

- EZ Drummer - Drum 2 - insert a
- Kontakt5 AAX - Brass HIGH - insert a
- Kontakt5 AAX - Choir 1 - insert a

- Track 2 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > session Horns Pro (2nd instance)
This track is titled "Brass High"

- Kontakt5 AAX - Brass LOW - insert a (this it the track that contains session horn pro (1st instance)

- Track 3 (stereo); EZY Drummer 2
This track is titled "Drum 2"

- Kontakt5 AAX - Brass Low - insert a (this it the track that contains session horn pro (1st instance)

- Track 4 (stereo); Kontakt 5 > Realixox Blue ..., problem ?
This track is titled "Choir"

- Kontakt5 AAX - Brass Low - insert a (this it the track that contains session horn pro (1st instance)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM

Corruption is possible. Try this; Step 1-hold the SHIFT key while opening this session. If it opens, that's a good sign. Step 2-make plugins active EXCEPT for Kontakt 5 > Realixox Blue, saveand close the session and re-open. If it re-opens, that's another good sign. Step 3- create a new session(same sample rate and bit depth) and import session data>point only to the Realixox track and import. If it runs with just this track, bus and print as audio(to import into the original session). With any luck, you can work around the issues(fingers crossed)My thinking is that Realixox is the issue and either needs an update, or is just not a happy plugin(which I would absolutely report to the plugin manufacturer)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-21-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Corruption is possible. Try this; Step 1-hold the SHIFT key while opening this session. If it opens, that's a good sign. Step 2-make plugins active EXCEPT for Kontakt 5 > Realixox Blue, saveand close the session and re-open. If it re-opens, that's another good sign. Step 3- create a new session(same sample rate and bit depth) and import session data>point only to the Realixox track and import. If it runs with just this track, bus and print as audio(to import into the original session). With any luck, you can work around the issues(fingers crossed)My thinking is that Realixox is the issue and either needs an update, or is just not a happy plugin(which I would absolutely report to the plugin manufacturer)
Thanks for the help with Troubleshooting this Albee, but unfortunatly it didnt work on this occasion ...,

Meaning that everything worked AOK using your suggestions , up until I created a new session and imported the realivox midi track ...., where it was still grey and non-playable like the original

I will send an email to tech suprt for Realitone (realivox blue) just to make sure I have the latest version , and to see If maybe it is a plugin issue or not ? ...,

In the meantime , I will try to visually copy each midi note one by one - just in case I cannot resurrect this file .

As the file was still an unfinished project that needed more fine tuning , while I had the creative juices flowing , I came up with many complex chordal backing vocal harmonies , and I also created many new melody ideas in other parts where I was going to copy those parts into another instrument track for for further working into interweaving synth parts .

I had been searching for ideas for all of the above on many occasions and only came up with lame ideas ...., but the other morning I woke up excited and overflowing with so many great ideas one after the other, with all the hooks Id been looking for the whole time ( like I'd made a deal with the devil at the crossroads LOL) ...., Im desperate to recover all that if possible .
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM

Day Two ..., I half found a workaround
...,ie; after uncovering a few bugs

My further trial and error investigations ...........,

Step 1 - I created a new instrument track in the project , and this blank instrument track also had a grayed out lane even though it was blank ..., so I copied and pasted my original (grayed out and possibly corrupted) midi file to this new instrument track...., and clicking on it anywhere would not remove the gray shading from the lane.

Step 2 - Next I added realivox to it and was still a no go (ie; no audio playback, but the piano keys in kontakt'realivox GUI would trigger sounds (like before) when i mouse on/click the notes) , but without alowing midi playback

Step 3 - Next I opened a new midi track and it opened without any gray shading ..., so far so good

Step 4 - Next I opened an instrument track and inserted DB33 organ , then I directed the (above) new midi track to DB33 ...., and it worked ..., then I removed DB33 on this instrument track - and replaced it with Kontakt/realivox and that worked also

Im on a roll here .........,

Step 5 - Next I opened another instrument track (on its own) , and the blank lane was grey again ..., but this time I inserted DB33 Organ instead of realivox blue - and instantly the gray disappeared I thought " heres a start "

Note; this gray remained yesterday when I tried this ,and stayed NON PLAYABLE - the difference between yesterday and today was that yesterday I did not try STEP # 3 ......, so therefore something to do with the copying and pasting of the (what I thought was a corrupted) MIDI file into a midi track AND NOT TO A INSTRUMENT TRACK , seemed to somehow make the MIDI File playable again

STEP 6 - Next I copied and pastidi file as above to this now (grayLESS) track lane ..., and "Abracadabra" it was a blue MIDI file as it should be

STEP 7 - Next I removed DB33 from the insert slot and inserted Kontakt/Realivox Blue in its place and YES YES YES - I have audio

This still does not answer exactly why the errors happened ? - but Im guessing maybe it was either Kontakt or Realivox Blue ..., but I already have another two instances of kontakt open in the project running session horns pro and has been trouble free
Old 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM

I contacted Realitone tech support (who are Excellent by the way )

..., and they think that my midi file could have been muted accidentally somehow , which sounds rather logical , although i wasnt muted when I shut down my session when pro tools crashed ..., but anyhow , I got that info too late to test it out and try unmute to se if that worked , as I've since deleted the offending midi file in its track (as I have it now up and running in another track) . ..., and I also found out I have an older version of the realivox software and was provided with an update , and updates are usually a good thing

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 07-21-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo