Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Understood, and no offense taken! I did update W7 right after installing. I'd read about that mp3 corruption issue, so that was done immediately.

cs1 already? Man!!

(BTW, since this is on a new page, don't miss the update on my last post regarding the fix I found that seems to have worked!)
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg6794 View Post
Understood, and no offense taken! I did update W7 right after installing. I'd read about that mp3 corruption issue, so that was done immediately.
Ya...the mp3 issue was a nasty one.

Quote:
(BTW, since this is on a new page, don't miss the update on my last post regarding the fix I found that seems to have worked!)
Read it and thanks for posting that info!

Now we gotta try cs1 with all this.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
The PACE drivers got installed automatically during the PT install process. The install took maybe 25-30 minutes, but with no errors along the way.
You're the second next to Sunburst to do this. I really wish we could get to the bottom of that one as the rest of us have to install it manually still. At least we have a confirm on his iLok install that also worked automatically. Congrats! Nothing like seeing it fire up for the first time.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Well, I just checked device mgr. and see my iLok is showing up under "Other Devices" with a question mark over it... So I'm not all the way there yet.

However, I was able to record for about 4 minutes at a 64 buffer!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Well, I just checked device mgr. and see my iLok is showing up under "Other Devices" with a question mark over it... So I'm not all the way there yet.
Ah...bummer...they should be under Dongles when installed. Oh well, I thought we were on to something. Sunburst is on his own again in that department.

Quote:
However, I was able to record for about 4 minutes at a 64 buffer!
On a laptop?...now that's impressive! Thanks for posting that stat.

Shane

Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
For those who want to jump in, help and contribute then killer! But, you will hose your system...more than once. That's part of beta testing. For those who just want to "try it" and play around thinking everything will be grand...don't. I'm just giving a heads up and disclaimer of all this.
If W7 is installed on a separate HD and a full primary partition, have you seen any indication through all the crashes that it is likely to cause corruption on any other filesystems on the same computer? Or is the destruction limited to its own physical device?

--Bill
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
On a laptop?...now that's impressive! Thanks for posting that stat.
Yup! A single core Mobile Athlon 64 @ 2.2ghz with 1gb ram, recording to the 5400rpm system drive. The session I did this on had about 16 tracks of audio already in it, but only a few plugins so far since I hadn't done any mixing on it yet. But yeah, I was quite surprised I was able to do so. Looking forward to doing more testing this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
If W7 is installed on a separate HD and a full primary partition, have you seen any indication through all the crashes that it is likely to cause corruption on any other filesystems on the same computer? Or is the destruction limited to its own physical device?

--Bill
I haven't had Win7 crash or lock up since I moved from a a old Athlon 64 desktop to a P945 based Pentium Dual Core board that was slated for a server. Super Stable here. Normally a system crash is going to just nuke its own partition. In very rare cases it might take out the boot loader. Having a back up of the entire drive and not the just the partitions is a good idea. Number 2 along that line is that you shouldn't be beta testing this kinda thing on your main DAW or production machine, use a separate drive or preferably a older DAW/Desktop etc.

Other than the random freezes with the Atlhon64 machine Win 7 has actually installed and run flawlessly here. I'm actually terribly impressed.
I've also been swapping some system files around between systems and its still stable.

At the moment the only things I need is FW Digi support and a working 64 bit MAudio MIDI driver. Interestingly enough my Vista 64 has working Midi with a MAudio Axiom61 but from what I can see I never installed a driver for it. or at least there is nothing in the Add/Remove programs area. Still working on that as it may hold the key to MIDI in Win7/64.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yup! A single core Mobile Athlon 64 @ 2.2ghz with 1gb ram, recording to the 5400rpm system drive. The session I did this on had about 16 tracks of audio already in it, but only a few plugins so far since I hadn't done any mixing on it yet. But yeah, I was quite surprised I was able to do so. Looking forward to doing more testing this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
The above at a buffer of 64 is even more impressive! That rocks! Keep us posted with your laptop venture.

As a side note, a new trend is the "Netbook" computers that are selling for around the $300 mark. Linux is ruling this department which doesn't go over well with Microsoft. Monkeyboy(Steve Ballmer) has recently stated that Vista wont run on Net books(duh!...of course not ), XP does to a degree, but W7 when released will. That is a very good sign as we know the OS ram usage will be very low with everything very well optimized...and that's a good thing for Pro Tools.

... and please, please, please MS...Balmer is a very bad choice to represent and speak for MS at Keynotes. I'm just sayin'.

Shane

Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM

I suspect that Win7 is all about three factors

A) Putting out a excellent product that will erase the bad press of Vista and remind folks that MS can actually plan, code and execute. Other than the huge memory footprint and the lower workstation performance (which is not that much of a factor in the normal desktop OS world) Vista SP1 is actually pretty solid. But the damage is done and its time to move on.

B) Getting the business world to finally upgrade those trillion or so XP computers that won't run Vista without expensive hardware upgrades like added RAM and dedicated graphics cards. From what I have seen if it will run XP it will run Windows7 just fine. The eye candy is running just fine on my old nVidea AGP GT 5700 OC which I am fairly sure would not meet the minimum specs for Vistas AERO.

C) Netbooks...Vista will not currently run on netbooks which are the industry's fastest growing market segment. If you think that MS extended XP support because of the hue and cry of the end users think again. It's all about not losing market share to Linux and customer satisfaction. The return rate of Linux net books is roughly twice that of Windows netbooks. People want netbooks that run their favorite apps with a zero learning curve.

I think 7 is all about putting smile on peoples faces again, Wooing the business sector to upgrade and making sure that the entry level is covered. That it looks to be all around better and faster than Vista is a huge bonus for the power users

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88