Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 02-23-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Room Mic for Drums

No problem at all.

Just to be clear; on Rode lineup, NT1-NT2 are the same mic on cardioid, updated version got multi pattern but fails miserably. K1 (NTK) and K2 are tube mics, updated version got variable pattern and is great. NT1000 (FET) and NTK (tube) were released at the same time, both cardioid only.

IMO skip NT1/NT2 altogether. Also skip K1 (NTK) because it is not much cheaper than K2 and does not have variable pattern. This is the reasoning why I said choose between NT1000 and K2 -- if you are budget limited you also need to decide whether you get one K2 or pair of NT1000.

Variable pattern on K2 means you have analog knob to turn between the patterns. Not a switch. So that is great. Be prepared to order hand-made XLR 7pin cable between the mic and power box because the one that comes with the mic breaks easily and probably isn't the length you are looking for.

Oh, and there is also a NT2000 which is variable pattern and whatnot, but same as with NT2, not so great. If you need variable pattern choose K2. If you need great mic for great price, choose NT1000. 'nuff said.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... on Rode lineup, NT1-NT2 are the same mic on cardioid, updated version got multi pattern but fails miserably...
Perhaps you are referring to the original NT1-NT2? I never liked the original NT1 or original NT2 - harsh and no good. Never tried the newer NT1-A, so I won't comment.

The NT2-A, however, is a MAJOR improvement over the original NT2. The NT2-A's sound very nice. My opinion!!! There are lots of listening tests posted, so you can listen and decide for yourself. Here's an interesting one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lfE1tZBfO4

Back to the OP question, though, I'd use small-capsule condensers for drum room mics (like SM81's). The placement, room, and mix level is critical. Make sure the room mics actually improve things, rather than create phase issues. Many times I will mute them in the mix... Obviously it depends on what you are going for. There are a million ways to approach drum sounds. You could put up 57's and crush with 1176-all-buttons-in. No rules - try it all for yourself.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 02-23-2020, 10:54 AM

Just trying to make the thing simple here.. for cheaper FET mic get NT1000 and for little more money and options get tube K2. Choose between the two from Rode large diagphram line. In this price range I won't even bother blind testing NT1000 and NT2-A