Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Unhappy What Windows processor works with Pro-Tools 8 (LE) HELP!!!

My P4 that I had for a few years finally kicked the bucket a few months after I upgraded to PT8. So I went to the local computer place and they said that a Intel Pentium Dual-Core would work.........LIES!!!!!!!!!

Can some please inform me on what to get? Do those I7's work with it even though it uses hyper threading?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Default Re: What Windows processor works with Pro-Tools 8 (LE) HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Majishin View Post
My P4 that I had for a few years finally kicked the bucket a few months after I upgraded to PT8. So I went to the local computer place and they said that a Intel Pentium Dual-Core would work.........LIES!!!!!!!!!

Can some please inform me on what to get? Do those I7's work with it even though it uses hyper threading?
How is it lies? Just about any Intel processor should be fine with Pro Tools... By the way, if you go to the top of the page, there is a HUGE thread about i7 builds with Pro Tools. Not much searching of these forums can give you a pretty good idea of what runs PT.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM

How can you expect the "local computer store" to have any idea what it is we're doing here?
That being said, I'm still running a Core-2 Duo in mine. I don't think a Pentium-4 will have enough horsepower to do this, but someone else might chime in about it.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
I don't think a Pentium-4 will have enough horsepower to do this, but someone else might chime in about it.
Yeah, my boy was struggling with his. He was able to get stuff done, but he couldn't have even a generous amount of plugins on the session. So he had to do a lot of audiosuiting! Hopefully this new i7 rig will do him justice!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Yes, P4 cpu's are way past their prime. All the Core 2 Duo quads work great, as do the 1366 i7 cpu's. The motherboard choice is critical and you are usually safe with a mobo that uses an intel chipset(do not mix an intel CPU with a non-intel chipset). If you check the i7 thread(first 2-3 pages are all you need) you will see some known working setups(like mine with the addition of a Digi-approved firewire card). Check DUC signatures of some of the long-time members for basic parts lists and you should be in good shape. Your best bet is the i7 920. The Q9550 is also a solid performer(with the right motherboard).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
How is it lies? Just about any Intel processor should be fine with Pro Tools... By the way, if you go to the top of the page, there is a HUGE thread about i7 builds with Pro Tools. Not much searching of these forums can give you a pretty good idea of what runs PT.
Because the Dual Core isn't working properly....it stops and then it doesn't ipen files like it use to...Grrrrr!!!!
Damn (Real) computer people
I saw the I7 post it kinda looked like a foreign language a tad. I know how to put one together but some of the jargon escapes me...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
How can you expect the "local computer store" to have any idea what it is we're doing here?
That being said, I'm still running a Core-2 Duo in mine. I don't think a Pentium-4 will have enough horsepower to do this, but someone else might chime in about it.
Thanks I'm gonna price a Core-2 Duo then......
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

I have a Pentium Dual Core E2180 and it kicks a55 with PT. All The Core 2 and i7 stuff rocks.

More than anything it sounds like you have a configuration issue or a incompatible peice of hardware in the equation. Chances are good though that its probably not the CPU.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 PM

For the couple of extra bucks, get a Quad core. (I only use the core-2 duo 'cause it's a 3 year old machine) A quad won't cost that much more.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I have a Pentium Dual Core E2180 and it kicks a55 with PT. All The Core 2 and i7 stuff rocks.

More than anything it sounds like you have a configuration issue or a incompatible peice of hardware in the equation. Chances are good though that its probably not the CPU.
Is there somewhere I should be looking for configuration? I'm sorry I seem so foolish.......