Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Is my Digi 003 Rack dead? Help me reviving it!

I got this 003 (rack version) off of the bay and the seller said he wasn't sure it's working because he tried it with Logic and it didn't work there. So I made him a quite low offer and he accepted.

Now I have this device that doesn't do anything, really.
I plug it in, turn it on, turn PC (Win 7 x64) on and nothing happens. It's not recognised in the device manager and clearly Pro Tools (8.0.5) isn't 'locating' the device either.
Signs of life: "Link" lamp on back is on & some LED (D9?) on the inside is blinking all the time.
That's it. No lights on front are illuminated, not even during startup.

What else can I try? I doubt, the firewire chipset is the sole problem here but I'll try a TI if some of you suggest that that's probably the reason. I already bought a second Firewire cable, so that shouldn't be an issue either. I didn't have a chance to try the device on another PC, yet (I don't have more machines with Firewire connections).

Also, as I said, I'm not the original owner and I think the person who sold it to me was either.

What are my best guesses to get the device repaired in Europe, preferably Germany? What can I try on my own?

Here's my hardware's sandra report: http://cloud.strayrayday.lu/public.p...dra_report.txt

Thanks for any help.

rotzbouw
Old 05-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Is my Digi 003 Rack dead? Help me reviving it!

Trying a TI chipset Firewire card first won't hurt, you'll need one in the end anyway.

The fact that "No lights on front are illuminated, not even during startup." is not a good sign. I would send it in to a technician to have a look at it. Sorry I can't recommend anyone in Germany (Europe) since I'm in New Zealand.

Good luck.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM

I would download the drivers for it !!!! Then take a look at what ur device manager says - u have to be good there first - b/f pt will play with it.... Drivers first then device manager. U can find them by searching the forum or the avid site
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 AM

Thanks for your help so far!

I'll get a TI chipset card ASAP but I still need to figure out what's happening with the digi device.

It's not showing up in the device manager which means that installing drivers won't help at all. All devices, with or without drivers, should be listed in the device manager. To be sure, I of course installed the drivers (although with 8.0.5 they aren't really needed, if I understand it correctly).

Any more hints? Noone experienced a no front lights at all scenario before? :)

Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM

No front lights at all sounds like a power issue. Have you checked the fuse? The power cord? Have you ever "hot-patched"? That means plugging or unplugging firewire while things are powered ON. That can fry the firewire port on the 003, the computer or both

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotzbouw View Post
It's not showing up in the device manager which means that installing drivers won't help at all.

All devices, with or without drivers, should be listed in the device manager.
Clarification - yes to show up normally in the device manager - ie no yellow triangle.

And yes u r correct it should show up generally in the DM as something (even without the drivers) but obviously won't work with PT.

- so I'm sure u have tried the other FireWire port? And another cable? And another port on the computer? And made sure ur TI card is good in the device manager? And ur not hot plugging the 003? And verified that u have another firewire device working on that computer?

Then I would ask u how do feel about a screwdriver ? Phillips to be exact !!!!! :^)

Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Clarification - yes to show up normally in the device manager - ie no yellow triangle.

And yes u r correct it should show up generally in the DM as something (even without the drivers) but obviously won't work with PT.

- so I'm sure u have tried the other FireWire port? And another cable? And another port on the computer? And made sure ur TI card is good in the device manager? And ur not hot plugging the 003? And verified that u have another firewire device working on that computer?

Then I would ask u how do feel about a screwdriver ? Phillips to be exact !!!!! :^)
I've tried all of the above, yes. Even different machines. This thing seems to be near-dead for sure, hehe.

What are suggesting with the screwdriver? I've already opened it up (that's how I noticed the blinking light on the inside). I'm ready to make the device undergo surgery but I need starting points ;>

albee1952: There is power, otherwise no lights would blink at all, right? the startup clicking is there, too. I haven't hot swapped the fw but the previous owner(s) could have, of course.

Cheers
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Rotz

Search the DUC for the 003 issues - Albee in fact posted something a few months back that i had never heard about- it was with the cable coming off some inside connector - I was not familiar with the problem nor the fix.

Yeah with the screwdriver was yeah opening up the system and swing if there were something U could fix yourself.

Good Luck

Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No front lights at all sounds like a power issue. Have you checked the fuse? The power cord? Have you ever "hot-patched"? That means plugging or unplugging firewire while things are powered ON. That can fry the firewire port on the 003, the computer or both
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Rotz

Search the DUC for the 003 issues - Albee in fact posted something a few months back that i had never heard about- it was with the cable coming off some inside connector - I was not familiar with the problem nor the fix.

Yeah with the screwdriver was yeah opening up the system and swing if there were something U could fix yourself.

Good Luck
Unfortunately, I can't find this thread or post by albee1952. Can you point me to it or, if you read this albee1952, can you repost that information? (A shame that private messaging is disabled on this board.)

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:31 PM

I believe you are referring to the Power harness issue that was prevalent on the 002. I haven't seen this as an issue on the 003.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com