Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-27-2018, 06:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 2018.3 / 2018.4 crashing when switching window configurations

Hello,
As in the title. I am mostly a Logic user who occasionally uses Pro Tools and with my sparse use it has never caused any trouble before. Recently I started using window configurations and workspaces extensively. I would have maybe 5 of them: midi editor, mix, edit, edit with workspace with some track presets, another edit with plugin presets. I would switch them, drag and drop some instrument, drag and drop some plugin here or there, open up midi editor etc. Using Pro Tools have never been more pleasant for me. On the very first day of my new workflow I started getting crashes (Pro Tools quit unexpectedly). I started doing some testing although no new plugins have been installed and never had that many crashes, actually haven't had a crash in months. 2 macs. Both 10.13.3. Did a fresh install and just installed Pro Tools 2018.3. No extra plugins. Crashes while switching window configurations. Created new template, no workspaces this time. Crashes. Updated to 2018.4. Same. It will work for 10-20 minutes and at some point when I switch to another window configuration it will just quit unexpectedly. Both machines tested with 2018.3 and 2018.4, 10.13.3. No plugins besides stock ones. With workspaces and without. No external hard drives. Both Macbook pros. Is it even a known issue? Anybody here experienced that? My plan ends up in a week and I wonder whether I should renew it just to get the fix for that. Thanks.

EDIT: I believe I was mistaken to assume that this crash is caused by switching window configurations. The workspaces might be the reason. How I am able to reproduce this crash reliably:
1. Create a new empty project.
2. Create a new workspace control+option+i
3. Create a new window configuration (option+command+j to show the list) with workspace on (if that workspace points to an empty folder, maybe it won't crash).
4. Recall newly created window configuration by clicking on it on the list.
5. Workspace indexing every time you click on it (quick blink).
6. Keep recalling that workspace and it will crash. In my case sometimes 2-5 clicks, other times 50+. Seems like a lot but if you use window configurations and a few of them recall some workspace, it is just a matter of time before it crashes and it could happen any time now.

EDIT2: Yep, workspaces are broken. Every time you recall a window configuration, the specific workspace attached to it does quick indexing which lasts fraction of a second. At some point it will hang for a second maybe and crash Pro Tools. Tested on High Sierra 10.13.3 and 10.13.5 with Pro Tools 2018.3 and 2018.4. I did some digging around and it seems that this bug has been around for a while which sucks... Workspaces are really great, especially now with track presets and plugins that you can drag and drop. Yes, finder can be used for this purpose as well but it's less than ideal solution. Thanks.

EDIT3: Pro Tools 2018.1 also tested- no difference in behavior, quits unexpectedly as well.

EDIT4: Just installed 12.8.0 and it also exhibits exactly the same behavior. Unbelievable that this bug has been around for over a year now.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 06-28-2018 at 12:38 PM.