Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Stereo mixer.dpm or Stereo Dithered Mixer.dpm in my plug-ins folder?

Hi All!

Should I have Stereo mixer.dpm or Stereo Dithered Mixer.dpm in my plug-ins folder (same with surround)? PT says that I can only have one of these in the plug-ins folder.

I recently moved some of these from the unused plug-ins folder because I wanted to activate the surround mixer.. After that I get this error code that says I can only have either the regular or the dithered one. Which one should I use?

Most grateful for any help in this matter!

Best regards
Séamus Deivert
Old 02-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Stereo mixer.dpm or Stereo Dithered Mixer.dpm in my plug-ins folder?

With the old TDM, especially if you work with music with very high dynamic (soft and loud passages), the dithered mixer plugins are reccomended due to the fact that every TDM plugin truncates the signal from 48bit (those that are double precision) to 24bit and the dither helps to mask the distortion of every truncation. With the new system that works at 32 bit FP I suppose that the dither is not necessary because every truncation will cut the word length of every plugin instantiation down to 32bit (not lower as the TDM does). This mean that the truncate errors will be 256 times lower, in the silence range.
Just my thought.