Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 12 Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 5 multiple outputs in PT12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHarmonson View Post
I basically did variations of the "turning off, then on again" trouble shooting trick. Removing kontakt plug-in then putting it back on, restarting PT, restarting computer, reopening custom output config file, etc.
Still not enough info. For the last time - what EXACT process are/were you doing in setting up the outputs in Kontakt? Email me and I'll send you a pair of output.cfg files I created that'll give you 8 and/or 16 stereo outs in Kontakt.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:01 AM

I know you really want this to work with Kontakt, but I would suggest that you switch your thinking, and just use multiple instantiations of Kontakt. I don't think this approach uses that much more DSP since it's the samples that use most of the resources anyway. MIDI tracks and routing become VERY easy with this workflow, not to mention that most of the MIDI timing issues in Pro Tools are linked to extra MIDI tracks feeding VI's. For me, It's much less confusing to just have 16 channel strips of Instruments, each with it's own discrete name and MIDI channel, than to do all that routing in one instrument.

I encourage you to try it this way and see how it works for you.

Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I know you really want this to work with Kontakt, but I would suggest that you switch your thinking, and just use multiple instantiations of Kontakt. I don't think this approach uses that much more DSP since it's the samples that use most of the resources anyway. MIDI tracks and routing become VERY easy with this workflow, not to mention that most of the MIDI timing issues in Pro Tools are linked to extra MIDI tracks feeding VI's. For me, It's much less confusing to just have 16 channel strips of Instruments, each with it's own discrete name and MIDI channel, than to do all that routing in one instrument.

Steve
The only resources the samples use is ram; Kontakt can be pretty cpu intensive with some of the scripts. I do think you're wrong though about the MIDI timing thing as regards to multiple MIDI tracks routed to one vi. It's more the delay compensation than anything else but for the most part that's in the past, certainly not with the current version of Kontakt.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Main thing I found helped me was to save the multiple output config in Kontakt, then set it as the default for all instances (plugin, standalone, etc.), then re-start everything. It should then have all of the channels there for assignment.

Another (more simple tip) is to remember that only mono channels will show up if it's a mono track.

Hope this helps. Sorry if any of it's a repeat, as I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post
Main thing I found helped me was to save the multiple output config in Kontakt, then set it as the default for all instances (plugin, standalone, etc.), then re-start everything. It should then have all of the channels there for assignment.

Another (more simple tip) is to remember that only mono channels will show up if it's a mono track.

Hope this helps. Sorry if any of it's a repeat, as I didn't get a chance to read the whole thread.
That's what I ended up doing although I kept the different .cfg files visible to Kontakt. I managed to break the supposed limit of 8 stereo outs in PT with the .cfg file I use. Took a bit of work but got it done. Why I really wanted that was to get individual outs when using drums in Kontakt.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Jack,

With all due respect, I think that the configs that you are talking about creating are the resource intensive ones in Kontakt. I do my programing in one instance, then duplicate that by how many I need, and then split and paste the midi. Many times, I don't even need to do that since the mixer in Kontakt is pretty powerful and the effects are quite good. YMMV.

Steve
Old 09-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Jack,

With all due respect, I think that the configs that you are talking about creating are the resource intensive ones in Kontakt. I do my programing in one instance, then duplicate that by how many I need, and then split and paste the midi. Many times, I don't even need to do that since the mixer in Kontakt is pretty powerful and the effects are quite good. YMMV.

Steve
The configs themselves I'm talking about don't eat up cpu cycles like you think. What eats cpu in Kontakt are scripts and running a bunch of instruments in one instance of Kontakt (even if you have those instruments running out of one output in Kontakt). The output configs do nothing but route signals in the Kontakt mixer; they don't actually process the signal. Like I said I use the multi-out ones when I use drums in Kontakt; I'm not going to split drums across as many Kontakt instances as I have drums in the kit (not forgetting overheads & room mics). Wouldn't make sense.

And it isn't even about eating cpu cycles but spreading the load amongst the different cpu cores when you talk about spreading the load amongst Kontakt instances. Still takes the same amount of processing power but that power is now split up amongst the cores.

QAPLA!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:03 PM

Different drum elements is exactly what my setup is used for. I route the majority of my studio drummer elements to Mono Outs, and then connect them to Mono Tracks in PT, then use Stereo Outs just for the Room & OH channels.

Seems to work well, once I got past the challenge of making it the default setup so PT would acknowledge the channels.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeil View Post
Different drum elements is exactly what my setup is used for. I route the majority of my studio drummer elements to Mono Outs, and then connect them to Mono Tracks in PT, then use Stereo Outs just for the Room & OH channels.

Seems to work well, once I got past the challenge of making it the default setup so PT would acknowledge the channels.
Agreed and part of the reason for it being difficult is that NI's instructions aren't quite right and you have to freelance a little to get it to work right.

QAPLA!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Steve
Simple that way, but NI recommends one instance with many instruments for reducing CPU load

https://support.native-instruments.c...Host-Sequencer
X99 | i7 5820 | 64GB GSkill DDR4 | Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Kingston 120GB SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Samsung MZ7PD256HAFV-000H7 SSD 256GB | WD Black 1TB x2 | G-Drive 4TB | Audient ID14 | PT12.8.1 | Windows 10 Pro