Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 07:01 AM

Default Re: Inserting Plugins During Playback?

Some of the things I miss, that are in logic:

1. Choosing color for regions. This different colors for voices makes no sense. Who cares.

2. Being able to make any key do anything.

3. Adding Plugins on the fly, even though the audio mutes.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher:
2. Being able to make any key do anything.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So what about us freelance guys who need to hop around multiple and sometimes unknown PT systems? That "feature" only complicates things and it's something I actually hate about Logic.

Just give me the old, reliable standard keyboard shortcuts. Custom keystrokes are for people who won't touch another rig ever, IMHO.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icouldntbeleiveit:
Dropping OMS
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">MacOS 10.x will take care of MIDI routing internally, eliminating the need for OMS or FreeMIDI. At least that's what they say...
Old 08-03-2002, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by icouldntbeleiveit:

VST support (I'm sure many of you are sick and tired of paying four times the price for every plug (and more)

The ability to assign any function to any key

IMO, (apart from audio) PT software is in the dark ages compared to its competitors.

If PT was a native system only, would any of you seriously consider purchasing it ???.

...The only thing PT does better than any other DAW out there is the manipulation of Audio...PERIOD. Great!!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure VST plugs are cheaper, THEY'RE FREE!!! Anyone can make 'em anyone can copy 'em, you get what you pay for - sure there are some good ones - but the lack of copy protection keeps many companies from developing. I liken VST to guitar stomp boxes, no one takes them seriously in the studio, but there are some instances when they just work and forgone is the the care that they are unbalanced.

If Digi implements any function to any key, I might have to pick up a scithe and start hunting down employees one by one. It may seem like a great idea, but wait until you sit down at a friends machine and pressing ctrl-a suddenly removes ALL regions! Sure, you could change back to the default keys - but how now are you both to work on the project together? Although there are some keystrokes that I think are odd, I'd rather they be standard. I could always go buy a programmable keypad.

I had my choice, I bough Digi - even though I could've had the other programs for free.

There are native only PT systems, I own 1.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] agreed - although it's also easier to use...
Old 08-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies!! So no inserting plugins on the fly in TDM?! That seems crazy considering it can be done in LE! So to get other audio programs in windows to use the 888, it should be as simple as selecting the 888 in the audio playback section of the control panel right? Well.... it doesn't even appear as an option in the drop down menu [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] .
Old 08-03-2002, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rail Jon Rogut:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Produceher:

This different colors for voices makes no sense. Who cares.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I, and I'm sure many others who take advantage of voice stealing care very much! Also those of us who have had to set up mix sessions with 80+ tracks in Mix systems care a lot about this feature.

Rail
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah but with custom colors you could still do it that way.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Produceher:

This different colors for voices makes no sense. Who cares.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I, and I'm sure many others who take advantage of voice stealing care very much! Also those of us who have had to set up mix sessions with 80+ tracks in Mix systems care a lot about this feature.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-04-2002, 04:30 AM

All this talk of logic...
I used logic since it was 'notatot logic'
There is nothing logical about that program.
Convoluted pile of bollocks if you ask me.
But that is personal taste.

I like the comment that 'other than audio' , protools is no good...but sorry, isn't it an audio program? I thought it was a lawn mower!

PS . I would love individual track offsets for midi....a must with the horrible latency of RTAS softsynths.
Old 08-04-2002, 04:35 AM

Whooooaa, User defineable keystrokes is NOT the highest priority on my list or anyone else's for that matter. Even so Couldnt the layout be saved like the I/O and imort into what ever system you are using. But no big deal either way. Its usefullness would be for guys that use both Logic and PT.

There are much more pressing enhancements to be made to PT.

Some VST plugs are actually pretty good. Have you tried any of them??. The ability to use VST plugs and particularly VST Instruments would be a great day for PT users. I have been intensely mucking around with Cubase and Logic for a few weeks and its a Joy to use Cubase with Reason. ITS FLAWLESS in its implementation. It works well with Logic 5 also.

With PT its like pre-midi days. I have tried the Refuse Demo and its a worthy effort but we need REWIRE.

The PT communities snobbery is very tiresome. I've been there done that. WE DONT have the best system. ( for audio editing, yes). However there isnt a single other thing PT does better than any of the rest but the rest are light years ahead with everything else but AUDIO.

PT snobs go bury your head in the sand and one day you will look behind you and see that the others are not behind but in fact they will be miles ahead of you [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2002, 04:42 AM

Mesh, when PT was born it was an Audio Editor. (meaning it only worked with audio) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] PT is now advertised as a Digital Audio workstation meaning it isnt just an audio recorder its supposed to be much more than that.

If you record live bands all the time then PT is wonderful. If you happen to do do some other style of music like 'electronica' for eg then PT could certainly be improved upon.

If all you need is an audio recorder I could think of a multitude of cheaper and just as effective choices.