Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Default Syncing Pro Tools with Logic via Ethernet

with midioverlan or IAC id like to sync pro to logic so when i hit play in logic in one computer pt will playback/record in another computer.

how do i set up that sync. do i need the sync i/o?

thx
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Syncing Pro Tools with Logic via Ethernet

You can set both machines to generate and chase MTC, and you can link them through Network ethernet. That way you can press start on either machine and have the other chase. You can't remotely make ProTools record unless you have the preference "Record Online at Time Code (or ADAT) Lock" selected.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM

thx

i dont see it in the session setup. do i have to setup a network connection (iac/midioverlan) 1st or its on another window?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:40 PM

You set it up on both computers using the "Audio Midi Setup" program which is found in the Applications/Utilities.

I couldn't find a link for it on the web, but here are instructions from the Help Menu:

Sharing MIDI on a network
You can use a driver called the MIDI network driver to send and receive MIDI information between computers over a network. For example, if you have a music studio with several computers connected to MIDI interfaces, keyboards, synthesizers, and so on, you can use the MIDI network driver to route the data from these devices to and from your computers over an Ethernet network. Without the driver, you would need to purchase MIDI interfaces for your devices and connect the devices with cables. With the MIDI network driver, you can have a central computer act as a “master,” sending and receiving MIDI data over the network to other computers and their connected MIDI devices.

To set up MIDI networking on your computer, you first create a “session.” A session identifies your computer as a central location for MIDI streaming over the network. When setting up a session on your computer, you specify the computer port that the network information will use, a session name, and your computer’s name that will appear to other computers on the network. You can also set up specific routings of MIDI devices. For example, you might specify that a MIDI keyboard connected to another computer route its MIDI data to a synthesizer connected to your computer.

To set up a MIDI network session:

In Audio MIDI Setup, choose Window > Show MIDI Window.

Double-click the Network icon in the MIDI Studio window.

On the left side of the MIDI Network Setup window, click the Add (+) button below My Sessions to create a new session.

On the right side of the MIDI Network Setup window, below Session, specify the network computer port, and a network name for your computer.

On the left side of the MIDI Network Setup window, below Directory, click the Add (+) button to add the names and network addresses of any remote computers not on your local network that you want to participate in the session.

Specify which computers can connect to this session by choosing an option from the “Who may connect to me” pop-up menu.

To start a session, click Connect.

Computers actively participating in the session appear in the Participants list.

To set up live routings, choose the devices you want to share MIDI information from the “Live routings” pop-up menus.

After creating your session, MIDI applications present it as an available MIDI source and destination.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:01 PM

oops, i guess i wasnt clear on my query..

im ok in the network and logic side. im a bit off on the pro tools side as i do not see a way to assign that network connection(with mtc) to mtc in pro tools.

all i see in the session setup is the "no digi sync or periferal present, and mtc to port. "
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 AM

In the Setup Menu / Peripherals / Synchronization. Select Network for both MTC Reader port and MTC Generator port.

Then you have to select GEN MTC on the Transport, and also put Transport Online in the Options Menu. If you show Synchronization on the top grey bar you can have buttons for both (that little drop down menu in the top right corner).

These are PT 8 instructions; in 7 and earlier I think the MTC Generator was in the Session Setup Window.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Hi, I'm trying to do this and always get the same issue.
I set everything up as above.
I hit play in PT and logic starts.
Logic then hops backwards and forwards over a small few frame section.
PT locks me out. Won't stop but doesn't crash. I have to force quit to get out.
I am running PT 9 on a mac pro with 10.6 and logic on a MacBook pro also with 10.6
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
Hi, I'm trying to do this and always get the same issue.
I set everything up as above.
I hit play in PT and logic starts.
Logic then hops backwards and forwards over a small few frame section.
PT locks me out. Won't stop but doesn't crash. I have to force quit to get out.
I am running PT 9 on a mac pro with 10.6 and logic on a MacBook pro also with 10.6
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Hi,

here are my settings:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/4277..._Sync?h=a9759e

I think the most important part is in PT/Peripherals/Machine Control to set Master & Slave to different IDs.

Got a similar setup as you do. But I'm using the ProFireLightbridge as MidiInterface hooked up @ my MacBookPro which runs LOGIC.
PT runs on a MacPro with Unitors/AMT8s. Syncs flawless here.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8