Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 AM

Default Re: ESATA or FW 800

Considering large drives can cost less than DLT tapes, I started using SATA drives as "tape" using this eSATA dock:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Bl.../dp/B001A4HAFS

The drives just drop in... no enclosures to worry about. You can use 3.5" or 2.5" drives. It has a USB2 port in case you absolutely must take it somewhere without eSATA. Best $40 I ever spent.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Default Re: ESATA or FW 800

There was mention that eSata was not compatible with ProTools. . . really? If Sata is compatible, then eSata should be compatible. Regardless, I have never had a problem and have done 80% of my projects on Sata/eSata for the last year +.

This eSata adapter for the MacPro was mentioned earlier in the thread. It is a must have if you are using a Mac Pro and fits even if all 3 slots had HD cards because there is an additional backplate with no slot where this can be placed on my Quad Core Mac Pro.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer...ology/MPQXES2/

I use the Thermaltake mentioned above, on USB for backups, and it works great. However I am not comfortable with a session drive sitting open like that. . . could get knocked over with a guitar neck or other easy-to-happen acident. . .