Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2020, 07:30 AM

Default When will we get full ARA support?

I just looked it up. ARA, otherwise known as, audio random access, is a memory hog. I’m against it. By allowing more accessibility to plug ins using more information, you are raising the ram memory requirements. We have enough problems with plug ins causing protools to crash, and with less memory on the new macs, who would want to make it worse, and an arrogant and obnoxious comment against the developers is not going to make it any better.
So open up your programs folks and start chopping away even if it means calling the Campbell’s soup kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by spinsong; 12-16-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:23 AM

Default Re: When will we get full ARA support?

What’s the proof for your suspicion ARA causes RAM issues?
I had a RAM problem yesterday while using 10 instances of Melodyne in Pro Tools although my Mac mini has 64 GB of RAM and ARA wasn’t involved.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:37 PM

Imagine if it did have ARA what then. You had 64 gb ram and your computer choked. The new macs have 8 or 16 ram max. If you address more functions involving audio to individual plug in instances, then you require more ram and are more prone to crashes than your case which has more ram available even though it was amongst those who crashed.

Last edited by spinsong; 12-18-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:47 PM

ARA is not memory problem as it is not as realtime as you think. Even if you had a terabyte of stuff "read into memory" most of it would be swapped to disk and the new Apple Silicon machines are said to have 3GB/s disk access.

What it really means is direct access to the timeline, it does not necessarily mean the WHOLE track is in memory like Disk Cache. Think of realtime bounce vs. offline bounce, ARA is just that. You don't need to read stuff realtime into plugin memory before you start working on it.

I am pretty certain they are working on it, because now every PT customer with current support plan has Melodyne Essential. Guessing though, but connecting the dots isn't very hard IMO.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Audio Random Access requires Random access memory otherwise known as ram. Ram is addressed by an off and on function it’s not variable. The memory requirement increases not decreases. Decreased memory requirement would be a good implementation. However, it usually results in a crash.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Audio Random Access requires Random access memory otherwise known as ram.
And a step further, do you happen to know what the operating system does once it runs out of physical memory known as ram?
Old 12-18-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Audio Random Access requires Random access memory otherwise known as ram. Ram is addressed by an off and on function it’s not variable.

None of us care about RAM or whatever--many of us need and want ARA support for Melodyne--end of story. And it's most likely on the way anyhow...
Old 12-18-2020, 01:56 PM

Work on an older machine using your player piano app then import. I’d rather not have protools crash over it. It’s a monster tape machine as it is. I’ve worked with melodyne and protools together way before it was implemented in the current version without any hiccups. You have people complaining about the cost of protools. All the while it’s these same people asking for proprietary functions which in this case is a joint venture between celemony and presonus and those aforementioned people are not willing to pay the extra price tag while we’re being driven to pay for it by them, the complainers. The solution is higher plug in cost. Put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited by spinsong; 12-18-2020 at 02:27 PM.