Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-09-2019, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Petition for Softube Console 1 integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
There is one product...D-Command.

DEEP plugin control and whole lot more. Aaaannnnd a bargain these days!

Here's one with 24 faders for $3.5k!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digidesign-D...DftL:rk:3:pf:0
Just sold our D-Control. :) Had it since they came out. Used it a lot at the beginning but in the end, we were basically using it for faders and pans. Clunky, acoustically intrusive and i can't recall ever using the upper knobs. You had to lean over just like on an SSL, except there was nothing you couldn't do with the lower knobs. I feel the D-Command was a much better design. Digi was trying to make the D-Control the size of an SSL, which they achieved, it looked good but i was frankly relieved to get it out of the room.

Back on topic, Console 1 really does encourage you to mix with your ears. Everything is just there, not much thinking to do, no mapping, acoustically unobtrusive and has all the control you need on a channel strip. Again, if Avid played nice with C1 i'd be a very happy camper. Would even consider an S3 for spillage, VCAs etc., but at this point i'm considering other options... maybe S1 and (shudder) a monster PC as Apple seems to have dropped the ball. Do love PT as a DAW though... so we'll see. Meantime, fingers crossed.

Last edited by raal; 02-09-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Eucon is free for developers to use (0 charge). It's up to Softube to use it if they want to allow their plugins to be controllable by Eucon.

Avid isn't going to start giving away their hardware controller business to let Console 1 in.

And Softube isn't going to give away their Console 1 sales to allow Avid controllers to operate their plugins.

This is why this is a dead-end petition.
There's little to no crossover between Console 1 and any existing avid products. It's just a plugin controller, that's it. No need for Eucon. Pro Tools just needs to allow it to get track number information, like every other daw.

Then it would compliment Avid's products, like the artist mix. Select a track on your artist mix, instantly have your channel strip controls for that track appear on your Console 1.

The only thing they're doing by not allowing this is pushing users to other daws.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
There's little to no crossover between Console 1 and any existing avid products. It's just a plugin controller, that's it.
Eucon is a plugin controller. That's your overlap. As in all of it. 100% overlap.
The Dock/iPad app and the S6 all have plugin control sections as does the S3 and Artist for throwing things to knobs and faders. I really don't understand how this can be missed. Avid isn't going to open up to lose sales.

If the Softube plugins are how people buy/choose which DAW to use, that's pretty wonky unto itself.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 02-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Default Petition for Softube Console 1 integration

Quote:
The only thing they're doing by not allowing this is pushing users to other daws.

They have been doing that for years.
And yes i agreee with the above post, direct overlap...especially for the dock -

-

What would however be nice would be a unified standard for all plugins....

This would allow for unified mapping across all OEM controllers with less work by both the OEM and the controller OEM.

Now that would be cool
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

-

What would however be nice would be a unified standard for all plugins....

This would allow for unified mapping across all OEM controllers with less work by both the OEM and the controller OEM.

Now that would be cool
That Would be awesome and open doors for more interesting collabs and features going forward

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Eucon is a plugin controller. That's your overlap. As in all of it. 100% overlap.
The Dock/iPad app and the S6 all have plugin control sections as does the S3 and Artist for throwing things to knobs and faders. I really don't understand how this can be missed. Avid isn't going to open up to lose sales.

If the Softube plugins are how people buy/choose which DAW to use, that's pretty wonky unto itself.
Eucon is a control protocol, and sure, controlling parameters of various plugins is a part of that. Console 1 is just a midi controller that controls a specific plugin, one that runs on their platform.

Avid makes and sells plugins as well, but I guess by your logic they shouldn't allow third party plugins in Pro Tools either, as it could open them up to losing sales.

I don't see which Avid products would be in direct competition with Console 1 but I can definitely see how allowing it to be used alongside Pro Tools (to the extent all other daw manufacturers do) would be of benefit to them and encourage sales.

But hey, what do I know. I've switched to mainly using Studio One after 12 years of Pro Tools specifically because of Console 1 integration, so I must be pretty wonky.
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Eucon is a control protocol, and sure, controlling parameters of various plugins is a part of that. Console 1 is just a midi controller that controls a specific plugin, one that runs on their platform.

Avid makes and sells plugins as well, but I guess by your logic they shouldn't allow third party plugins in Pro Tools either, as it could open them up to losing sales.

I don't see which Avid products would be in direct competition with Console 1 but I can definitely see how allowing it to be used alongside Pro Tools (to the extent all other daw manufacturers do) would be of benefit to them and encourage sales.

But hey, what do I know. I've switched to mainly using Studio One after 12 years of Pro Tools specifically because of Console 1 integration, so I must be pretty wonky.
Good points are being made, but i tend to agree with you. I'm on PT Ultimate HDX, have been a PT user since they went 24 bit and i'm also familiar with Studio One and Console 1. If PT played nice with C1 i wouldn't think of migrating but as is, i'm waiting to see if the new Mac Pros allow you to do away with HDX. I like Console 1 that much. I do agree that Avid has more to gain than to lose by allowing C1 follow channels automatically.

Last edited by raal; 02-22-2019 at 09:19 AM.