Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Default help connecting interface to digi 192 IO

Ive recently upgraded my home studio, I had my Steinberg MR816x modified by Black Lion Audio, purchased their wordclock, and bought 192 I/O with PTHD 8 included on a Mac G5 they threw in. I also just purchased a UA La-610. Im having trouble understanding how i'll get it all to work. I just had surgery today and can't bend for too long (and im all hopped up on pain killers) so Im hoping I can just get under there and hook it up right the first time

Are the converters on the 192 more likely to be better? because I love the upgraded 816's. Possible to not use the 192 at all?

I know I can go adat out of the 816 into the 192 Digital IO but can I still use my 816 as my interface so I can monitor out of it? Do I have to go adat back into the 816? Is there a way to monitor directly out of the 192?

How would I hook up the world clock? WC out into 192 into mr81x back into WC in?

My last question is would it be okay to go from the La-610 Output into the 816 Pre to get into PT or would it be better to go into an analog input on the 192 (Id have to get the plug).

Any help woukd be great, thanks!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Default Re: help connecting interface to digi 192 IO

G5 needs to have a HD card in it. Does it? You didn't say. Assuming there is a HD card, you connect your 192 interface to it using a DigiLink cable. That's basically it, your PT HD system in a nutshell. You need to have a complete Digidesign/Avid system up and running first and then build on that.

Now when we think about that Steinberg box, you already said that you can connect it using ADAT, which is fine if you're not looking for 96k sampling rate. ADAT is 48k max and if you want to use higher sampling rates you need to use AES/EBU instead. Whatever the digital format, connecting that box to digital card makes the Steinberg appear on channels 9-16 (by default). In addition to connecting the digital cable between the boxes, you need to feed wordclock from 192 wordclock output into the external box wordclock input.

Monitoring would be simplest out of the 192 interface. There is the analog output DB25 connector which gives you 8 channels. If that is not enough, or if you want to try monitoring out of Steinberg, you also connect ADAT (or AES) cables from 192 to the external box and use its analog outputs.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:46 AM

Default Re: help connecting interface to digi 192 IO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookwoodstudios View Post
How would I hook up the world clock? WC out into 192 into mr81x back into WC in?
WC out -> 192 -> MR81x -> Terminating connector.

You must use a terminating resistor/connector at the end of the chain. Do not create a loop and run back to the WC in.

System Details