Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Default OT: what to charge for website music?

Hi, please forgive the OT post, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help.

I've been asked to compose some music for a website, it'll probably just be synthesizer stuff, maybe some (cleared) samples as well.
It's for a promotional website for a novel that's coming out at the end of the year (website is going live later this month). The publisher, who I know personally, is really only a smallish indie publisher, however the author has published a number of books and is known in his small niche field. They are going to try to promote the novel to the mainstream, it may not do much, or it may do really well....
Anyway, for the website they want 90 seconds of music for a flash movie splash page, kind of atmospheric stuff which will work with the flash images and I'd be providing them with the finished product, though I assume this will be in the form of mp3 file for streaming so it won't need to be mastered professionally or anything like that.

Does anyone have any idea what the pay is for something like this? The guy had originally said "a couple of hundred bucks", I've left a message with him asking for further clarification on that. Obviously the degree of time I put into the music will depend on their budget. I don't doing an indie project on a low budget, but at the same time I AM a professional musician so I also don't want to undercut myself for the time I'll be putting in. If he pays more he'll get better quality sounds cos I'll go out and upgrade some of my sounds.

Or, if anyone knows what it costs to get library music for that kinda of thing, that would also be helpful in giving me a starting point.

Any advice/input most appreciated. Thanks.

Julianne