Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:18 AM
Ras Gabriel Ras Gabriel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 44
Default to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

Anyone please help...I am waiting to start ordering parts...
I think I've finally made up my mind to build The Allenstein machine over getting G5 (the system appears to be very stable and efficient and that's what I'm looking for obviously, so why pay $1500-3000 when I can build one for under $1000.)
I do have a couple of questions, and probably will have more as I get into it. I'm really wondering if I should wait till all of this dual core processing and such is worked out and the 939 socket mobos or if I should go ahead with the Asus K8V SE Deluxe 754 and AMD 64 3700+....anyway, here is what I'm planning on getting, please let me know if you would personally do anything different.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...PTLE%20Machine

1. As far as an external HD how about this? http://www.gogocity.com/product_deta...O07HDD0530FIRE

2. As far as displays, are there any 19-20" that you would recommend for under $300?

that's it for now (I think)...I have a brand new 002r factory bundle still in the box awaiting use so I am ready to go, but want to proceed with caution...thank you for sharing your time and knowledge.

gabe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:29 AM
madrock madrock is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 443
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

go S939. it is the way of the (not too distant) future, as is the way with all things computer related and the majority of 939 boards support the dual core processors already.

the A8V-E deluxe works a treat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:34 AM
Joe Evans Joe Evans is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Posts: 1,020
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

Gabe,

Pretty much either way you go you are going into planned obsolescence right off the bat with the computer. My opinion (strictly an opinion) is that the cheaper, older CPU's you mentioned are already outrunning what PTLE will let us do regarding track counts, plug-in's, etc.... Some of the people here using the "slower" Athlon 64 chips are getting phenomenal results with their PTLE rigs. The other side of the coin is that with the newer motherboards you might get a couple of CPU upgrades before they themselves become outdated.

Personally, I would go with the Asus K8V SE Deluxe 754 and AMD 64 3700+ you mentioned. Use what money you save doing this to get a quiet fan and case (Antec Sonata) or some other studio component. I don't think the dual-core technology actually offers PTLE users that much in the way of enhancement, yet....There's always a software update around the corner thought that might be coded to make full use of just such a feature. You never know.

Again, all just my opinion. YMMV. Hope this helps and isn't confusing.

Addendum: Madrock from Oz has a good point too, especially if you are going to use the computer for things other than just recording. I think there are probably quite a few apps and newer versions of Windows on the way that will directly support those mulit-core chips but the price on the "older" MoBo's and CPU's are probably going to drop quite considerably as the new tech becomes more prolific. Honestly, it seems to be a bit of a toss-up.....
__________________
--joe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Ras Gabriel Ras Gabriel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 44
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

thanks for the replies. It seems a hard decision because I was set to get the "older" set up (The top Allenstein Machine) and links went dead on NewEgg, and while I was searching I started seeing that there may be advantages in "the future" to go with 939 & dual core etc. I really don't know too much about all of this and the differing variables. What are the benefits to the newer technology? I noticed that there is now a new verion of Windows..."64 Bit", what exactly is this all about, is it needed to take advantage of the technology?, and is PTLE compatible with this new version of Windows? I haven't seen anything from Digi on the matter. As for price, it seems to be very similar, so just as I'm building my own system to get economic stablility and efficiency, I think it would be wise to get the newer technology if the potential benefits were worth it...could someone explain exactly what kind of potential benefits we are likely to see?

Matt, any word on the DFI board and the new BIOS yet?

Allen, If I go the 939 route what all would change with the Allenstein setup other than Mobo and CPU? or better yet could you recommend a new set up like this as an option on the Best Desktops 1st page?

Please HELP!!!! I just want to get going, but I don't want to be impatient and miss the boat.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2005, 04:41 AM
bigbubbaj bigbubbaj is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,457
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

I went A8V, and a A64 3700+ (San Diego Core) and it works GREAT.

I am building one for another DUCCIE as we speak (well when the parts get here)


My $.02.
__________________
5198 Studios
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 PM
albee1952 albee1952 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: nashville
Posts: 35,018
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

the Acer AL1912 is an excellent LCD for under $300. I bought a pair and love them. Studio shot
__________________
Gigabyte X79/intel i7 3930K, 32GB RAM, DIGI003 Rack
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...0sound%20works


The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Ras Gabriel Ras Gabriel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 44
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

thanks all for the advice...I'm leaning the s939 way, but not fully convinced yet...I'm kinda waitin on what Matt says about the new BIOS on the new DFI board.
Albee, I was checking those out and keeping my eye on them; so you're happy with them i suppose?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Ras Gabriel Ras Gabriel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 44
Default Re: to wait or not to wait? 754 vs 939 etc.

please forgive my ignorance, this is S939 right?
what memory are you using?

thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TDM to HDX while we wait for AAX... the glass is half empty Pro Tools 10 4 01-17-2012 10:20 AM
Freeing Unused DSP - Wait, Wait, Wait Wyn Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 10-04-2009 12:30 PM
"calculating overviews" wait, wait, wait rtcstudio Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac) 5 06-16-2009 11:32 AM
Buy a G4 now or wait? ibne Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 05-14-2003 06:43 PM
do I have to wait for HD??? benderbro Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 03-22-2002 09:15 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com