Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Print track and Mastering

I have been experimenting with a Template. On the master buss out it has a limiter then it prints to a print track. Can you master the print track after it went thru a limiter or would you remove the limiter and lower your out put?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Print track and Mastering

This question to me tells that you need to learn quite a bit before you call your final tracks a "master". But long story short, only real no-no is touching a track that has noise-shaping dither applied
Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM

When you say "can you master", do you mean YOU, or do you mean a mastering engineer? There are differing opinions on this, so this is only my opinion I really don't like to master. I don't care how many tools I have to do it, or how many times I've done it. None of that makes me a "mastering engineer"(which I feel has its own skill/art that is not the same as recording or mixing). If someone else will master the project, I do nothing on the master bus other than my FabFilter ProQ2 doing a hi-pass around 20Hz(its in place mostly so I can see the spectrum display and clipping).

I often will listen with some master "help", but mainly that's either to get an idea what will happen(will it affect the mix in a big way) and I will often do "quick&dirty" mastering so a client can listen to a mix that hits close to "commercial" volume.

Back to the original question, I would not apply limiting if mastering will be done later. If you have a limiter setting that gives you something you really like, print 2 versions, 1 with nothing, and 1 with the limiting as a reference for the ME

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2019, 02:26 PM

not talking about dither or noise shaping
Old 01-23-2019, 02:29 PM

That makes sense to bounce 2. I have heard 2 different things. If you are going to send out for a Master dont but a limiter. Then I also heard yes you can use a limiter and then master the limited track. I know you can do anything but I was trying to get the i guess proper way.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 PM

Why are you using a limiter?

If the limiter is there because it’s part of the SOUND you want in your final mix, then leave it.

If it’s just there to make it LOUDER, then send it to mastering without it and let the mastering process make it as loud as it needs to be.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post

If the limiter is there because it’s part of the SOUND you want in your final mix, then leave it.
In the words of Darryl Hall...."I can't go for that" This is why I suggested 2 bounces(so the limited bounce serves as a reference for the ME). Reason #1-you may squash more than needed and the ME cannot undo too much limiting or compression. #2-the ME might have a limiter that will do what you want, but do it a lot better than the tools you have. #3-(and probably the most important reason to use an ME), its always good to have some fresh ears listen to the final without prejudice. I don't care who you are or how good you are, once you've heard a song 150 times, its really tough to be objective

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post

If it’s just there to make it LOUDER, then send it to mastering without it and let the mastering process make it as loud as it needs to be.
What William is asking is something you have to give serious thought to.
The only problem is, mixing into a limiter does make the track louder...and 9 times out of 10, you will pick it as the better version only because it is louder...because your brain gets fooled into that rather easily.
If you're not knowledgeable about mastering, (and why would you want to be?)
I would send the tracks to someone else who is....They will invariably have better equipment and knowledge to make things louder.

Also...
When you say you have a limiter on a Master, and print to a track, do you mean you are bussing everything to an Aux and bussing that Aux to a print track?
There is a huge difference.

Let us know
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
I have been experimenting with a Template. On the master buss out it has a limiter then it prints to a print track. Can you master the print track after it went thru a limiter or would you remove the limiter and lower your out put?

Limiter OFF for pre-master; you must leave some headroom for the mastering engineer to do their job; if you send them a pre-crushed mix they need to then turn your mix down so there's headroom for mastering processes (SR convert, eq, dynamics) to run without clipping.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Limiter OFF for pre-master; you must leave some headroom for the mastering engineer to do their job; if you send them a pre-crushed mix they need to then turn your mix down so there's headroom for mastering processes (SR convert, eq, dynamics) to run without clipping.
^^ this.

if your highest peaks are -6dBFS you are only sacrificing 1 bit, and again if the peaks are -12dBFS your sacrifice is 2 bits out of 24 -- and the best of the best DA converters have about 124dB dynamics which means you can easily "sacrifice" 20 dB below FS without actually losing anything.

Just something to think about. Your system does have a volume control, doesn't it? If it does, then no reason to try hitting red.