Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 AM

Default Annoying noises - digi rack 003+

Hi Folks,

I recently put together a new computer and I was able to install Pro tools 8.0.5 without problems with my DIGI RACK 003+

.- ASUS X99 DELUXE USB3.1 MOTHERBOARD
.- Intel INTEL CORE i7-5820K 3.3 GHz CPU
.- Sonnet Tango FireWire/USB PCIe Card (3-FireWire + 3 USB Ports)
.- Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB

But when playing guitar a small scratch sound is produced. it's a very brief but annoying noise and it happens randomly.

When I use the Eleven rack this does not happen.

I was thinking it might be the firewire card, but I worried about choosing one that was approved by avid.

any suggestions?

Should I switch to a newer version of pro tools?

Maybe with some version I can better use the computer resources.

Greetings and thanks for your comments
Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Annoying noises - digi rack 003+

Well claiming “without problems” and then you describe a problem... mmm.

What IO buffer size are you using? Make sure ignore errors is *not* checked.

Troubleshoot if the problem is in your preamp/DI hardware or Pro Tools or guitar (e.g. RF pickup, active pickup with a problem, etc)... do you hear that through direct monitoring (turn up loud to try to hear the dry guitar). Try a different preamp/DI input etc.

What exact OS are you on?

And the answer really will be nobody here will know, you will have to test and try to troubleshoot, but jeez Pro Tools 8, there has been a lot of progress in recent years. 2018 is pretty good. You can get get a one month license to try it out. Need an iLok 2 or 3 or use iLok software based cloud licensing.

If you need more help please describe all the troubleshooting you have done and post a SiSoft Sandra report. Sharing recordings of strange noises can help as well.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-27-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Annoying noises - digi rack 003+

In addition to Darryl's advice, the FW card should have a TI chipset(many are VIA and those can be bad with Pro Tools). The Sandra report will reveal that bit, as well as many other important hardware details.

Re the old version of PT you have, its a 32 bit program, so all that horsepower and RAM you paid for, are giving you nearly nothing in return. Its really time to move up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave