Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Weird Smart Tool/Selector Tool issue?

I'm clicking in the top half of a region with the Smart Tool (so the i beam appears) to place the cursor. Sometimes when I'm doing this everything in the Edit window gets selected. It's like I've hit select all. If I switch to the Selector tool it still happens.

Then, wherever I click in the session with the Selector tool or upper half of a playlist with the Smart Tool, everything remains selected rather than simply placing the cursor. If I change to the Grabber tool then just the region I click on gets selected. If I then click the same region again with the Selector tool the whole Edit window gets selected again.

This seems to happen more when zoomed into a small number bars. I'm in the habit of sometimes pressing and holding command before clicking with the Smart tool to override the grid and I'm not sure if this triggers the weirdness or at least makes it happen more often. Command clicking to override the grid does usually work though.

Is this just me doing something stupid? Anyone else gets this?
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Weird Smart Tool/Selector Tool issue?

Yes, when I'm using the Smart Tool this happens to me as well sometimes. I don't know why though, it seems to happen at random. Generally if I just click around a couple times to get the 'select all' to disappear, then proceed with selecting where i need to be, it works itself out. This has happened to me on two different systems: 1.) PT HD 8.0.4 / MacPro 2 x 2.66 Dual Intel Xeon / OSX 10.6.5, and 2.) PT LE 8.0.1cs2 / Mac G5 Dual 2.3 / OSX 10.5.8.

Two totally different systems so I'm not really sure what is causing it. What are your specs Marsdy? If anyone else has an idea as to why this actually happens, I'd also be interested to know.

Last edited by plastikman; 01-10-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added system specs
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikman View Post
Yes, when I'm using the Smart Tool this happens to me as well sometimes. I don't know why though, it seems to happen at random. Generally if I just click around a couple times to get the 'select all' to disappear, then proceed with selecting where i need to be, it works itself out. This has happened to me on two different systems: 1.) PT HD 8.0.4 / MacPro 2 x 2.66 Dual Intel Xeon / OSX 10.6.5, and 2.) PT LE 8.0.1cs2 / Mac G5 Dual 2.3 / OSX 10.5.8.

Two totally different systems so I'm not really sure what is causing it. What are your specs Marsdy? If anyone else has an idea as to why this actually happens, I'd also be interested to know.
Its a known issue.... hit option-a.. views whole session then zoom back in. Fixes it for a while. ff
Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I'm clicking in the top half of a region with the Smart Tool (so the i beam appears) to place the cursor. Sometimes when I'm doing this everything in the Edit window gets selected. It's like I've hit select all. If I switch to the Selector tool it still happens.

Then, wherever I click in the session with the Selector tool or upper half of a playlist with the Smart Tool, everything remains selected rather than simply placing the cursor. If I change to the Grabber tool then just the region I click on gets selected. If I then click the same region again with the Selector tool the whole Edit window gets selected again.

This seems to happen more when zoomed into a small number bars. I'm in the habit of sometimes pressing and holding command before clicking with the Smart tool to override the grid and I'm not sure if this triggers the weirdness or at least makes it happen more often. Command clicking to override the grid does usually work though.

Is this just me doing something stupid? Anyone else gets this?

Not exactly the same issue, but a Smart Tool issue all the same, i have found when i am zoomed in to the highest level, the Smart Tool trim icon flips around and faces the wrong way, and just behaves buggy, when trimming between two regions.

This is on PT HD 9.01 MacPro 10.6.5
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 AM

Thanks guys. Not just me then.

@plastikman
I've edited my sig to add specs. I was getting this before 9.01 though.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 AM

I have the same problem.
Mac Pro 8 core Nehalem 2x2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 15 GB ram, HD2 Accel, 192 I/O, PT 10, Mac OS 10.6.8. Dedicated internal drives for system and sample libraries. Recording few tracks on a network Synology NAS. More tracks on a Western Digital external FW800 drive. VI's from NI (Komplete 7), Toontrack, Spectrasonics, IK Multimedia, Vienna, MOTU (BPM), Ivory and a bunch of other plugs.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:54 AM

OK this has officially driven me nuts this week.

I've posted it as a bug on the Pro Tools Ideascale.

Please feel free to vote on it here:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ug-/29438-3779

I know only 3 in 100 reports actually turn out to be bugs but this one is weird! I've tried for the life of me to track this down as operator error...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 AM

OK.... this is still driving me nuts!!!

I'm clicking with the Smart Tool, (when it is acting as a Selector tool,) and randomly EVERYTHING in the Edit Window gets selected!!! It must have happened 20 times today! Zooming in and out clears the false selection but it's a vibe killer nonetheless.

It's happening in every session I'm working on. When it happens, the cursor is going where I click in the Edit Window. Playback starts from here and NOT the start of the false selection so it seems like a graphics thing maybe?

I have a theory that it is related to having different track heights in the Edit Window but haven't been able to confirm this.

Has this been officially recognised as a problem? It seems to have made it through a few versions now.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM

Yes it's been happening since 8.0.1. It IS just a graphical bug and not really changing your selection, so just try and ignore it if possible. You can confirm this visually by looking at the edit selection definition markers in the timeline - you'll see that when it happens they don't match the selection you see below. And if you hit delete your entire session doesn't go bye-bye!! I suppose that's why Avid haven't prioritised it very much, annoying as it is. But they are definitely aware of it. And I don't think it's related to the smart tool either, as I hardly ever use that.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 AM

I've been experiencing this a lot as well. I'm with Suicune that it's probably not Just related to the smart tool. This seems to happen the most to me while scrolling the edit window horizontally for some reason.