Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2014, 12:16 AM

Default Re: New MOTU AVB boxes vs HD NAtive

I think 32 i/o for 3rd party hardware is kind of too good , if I were AVID I had put it down to maximum 8 i/o for 3rd party hardware. More AVID hardware sales is better for all of us pro toolers.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
I think 32 i/o for 3rd party hardware is kind of too good , if I were AVID I had put it down to maximum 8 i/o for 3rd party hardware. More AVID hardware sales is better for all of us pro toolers.
Naah, 32 i/o is just perfect to get more people using PT. We all do remember the LE days (pre-9) when it was 18 i/o maximum without having to buy HD-TDM :)

Now any interface can have 32 i/o and you get 64 i/o with HDN (which effectively means HD interfaces, but hey... Avid is not forcing to buy DSP system if you only need more i/o and don't care about lowest latency possible.)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 AM

My behringer x32 board is loaded with I/O and features but I can't see myself ever needing 64 inputs....but that's just me I'm sure there are people out there using it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:01 AM

Up until recently most Studios could have only dreamt about having 32 inputs, let alone 64. If you need more than 32 simultaneous inputs you should be in the league of being able to afford HDN or HDX.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 AM

That's true. If you really NEED that much, your project is surely budgeted well enough to afford at least HDN -- not to mention, the interfaces for +32 i/o also cost more than HDN so that becomes a non-issue right there.

I have interfaces and preamps for 56 inputs but I rarely need all of them together. When I do, I get paid very well
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 AM

Plus you can most often rent additional interfaces/preamps so all you really need to have always at hand is the HDN and one interface (for mixing) and you have the possibility to advertise 64 i/o
Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
That's true. If you really NEED that much, your project is surely budgeted well enough to afford at least HDN -- not to mention, the interfaces for +32 i/o also cost more than HDN so that becomes a non-issue right there.

I have interfaces and preamps for 56 inputs but I rarely need all of them together. When I do, I get paid very well
different workflows for different folks.

for film composers who want to do the "RCP"/hans zimmer setup of haivng PT slaved to another PC/DAW then having more inputs works better. 32 inputs might work for a few stems and handling picture. but if you want to do 5.1 stems or if you like to mix your project in PT and bouncing tracks out of your main DAW into PT then more than 32 inputs would be heaven.

this type of setup is being done by low budgeted folks who only bounce stems to PT for delivery. i even had it with a mac mini and lightbridge. 32 was the limit as well. for stems it was nice. but if motu's network audio could hbe used in PT w/o input restriction , then that would be paradise but around $2k (PTHD software and motu) if not the other option is madi, which is more pricey. this way you an have the composing session and once approved by a director , you can bounce all the tracks or sub stems (violin leg, stac, pizz tracks into one track) and mix in PT.
we learned that with VEP we can do network audio at a fractino of the cost.
of oucrse there are work arounds and all can be done in the same daw etc. but still it would be nice.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 PM

Certainly if one needs more than 32 i/o (up to 64) - HDN is a clear winner on PT. No 3rd party solution can compete - and if one needs 65 i/o HDX is mandatory.

But for those in the 32 or less camp - much to like about the new MOTU boxes. Should be getting some first reactions from folks in the next couple of weeks...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 AM

Thunderbolt 1 single port.
USB 2

Seems the above should have been updated with new product.