Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 AM

Default Increase buffer size Error.. -_- ..

I decided to move to PT9 from Logic and this is the error I get when I play my songs in PT9.

I only imported 5 stereo WAV files 16 bit 44.1khz and not running any plugins except 1 instrument track thats using BOOM for drums.

I tried increasing buffer size and all that but I think its just stupid coz if i increase to 1024 i will just get latency. So I'm just sticking to 512 thats the highest i'd go but then again I still get this lag and from time to time the increase buffer error. It's getting really annoying. Sometimes the track plays and when i hit space bar the song wont stop until like after 5 seconds of lag.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS? This is pretty bad. I use to run logic with gazillions of plugins and it worked just fine.

I am running an iMac duo core - Snow Leopard with 4GB of Ram and I PURPOSELY swapped back to a 7200RPM 2TB hard drive that I cloned off from my previous old HD that was 5200RPM. Although 5200 was running fine with logic I decided to switch it to 7200 for the sake of PT9. I use M-audio Firewire 410 interface.

I really dont see anything wrong with my spec it should be more than enough to run PT9. So how do I fix this god damn error???
Old 02-09-2011, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Increase buffer size Error.. -_- ..

I had the same problem. I changed Host Processors (Set Up, Playback Engine) from 4 to 3 and the problem was gone. In your case from 2 to 1. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 AM

U mean change my processor from 2 to 1?

i tried that.. when my song is playing and i edit my midi events while its playing it lags again i try to stop the track with space bar it takes another 5 seconds to stop -_- this is really bullsh|t
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM

should I run PT9 on my internal hard drive and all my audio files on an external drive?

coz now im just using 1 HD.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM

-6085 (is this the error you are encountering ?) Is a very common error mentioned in at least a dozen threads in PT 9 mac os x with PT9. (please search other threads with your problem before posting a new one, this will help Avid).
Anyway, If you look around the DUC you´ll find many users performing several attempts to solve, despite the random behaviour of the error.

Despite the very kind help of many users who suggested to follow the standard Avid troubleshooting procedures and system cleaning, the error, in most cases, is still there.

I always thought it was a problem with PT 9 or/and external hard drive firewire chain. But I discovered something new today: I tried a friend´s macbook pro with PT 8.0.4 and my avid mbox pro, no ext firewire Hard drive. We got the -6085 as we accidentally touched a random key on the macbook pro. This confirmed somehow another cause of -6085 produced with my Mac pro quad-mbox pro sometimes: opening or closing an application (like Mail for example) during a PT session, caused 6085 err. (PS this was not happening with PT 8 and Mbox 2 pro or 002.)
Now, once the first 6085 error is produced, there is no way back. The session goes on producing it. The way out is quitting Pro Tools and restart, or toggling the session clock. Then it goes on fine again for a while.

(Please Avid read this), I might obviously be wrong, but it is my believe that the problem not only lies in PT9, but also in the mbox pro drivers
and the mbox firewire.