Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Options for going to PT 12 HD

Hey guys. At a studio I work out of we are currently looking to upgrade our Pro Tools system in our main studio. I'm here just to get feedback and get ideas of different options we could go with.

This room has a live room and a control room separated. 48 inputs. Patch Bays and some analog gear.

System is:
2006 Mac Pro
Pro Tools 8HD
2x DigiDesign 192
1x Avid HDX I/O
Euphonix CS3000 console.
3 different sets of Monitors (NS10 + Genelec)

Main uses are recording live musicians as well as recording vocals. Main songwriter at studio likes to record direct into auto tune. Can have up to 20-30 instances of auto tune

Of course TDM Waves Plugins

What are you guys thoughts on the best solution? I'm a vanilla guy so this is out of my league.
Thanks a ton

EDIT:
We have actually remembered we have a license for Pro Tools 9HD. One of the computers we upgraded recently had 9HD and we still have that license.

Last edited by drumzalicious; 12-23-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Options for going to PT 12 HD

How can they be running PTHD8 on HDX?

There is no upgrade path from 8 AFAIK.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
How can they be running PTHD8 on HDX?

There is no upgrade path from 8 AFAIK.
Good question. I just know there are two Digidesign 192 and then the Avid HD I/O

So what would your suggestion be for a system with how we are looking to use it
Old 12-22-2015, 09:09 PM

Given what the studio does, I'd leave it all alone and keep making money with it. If they have money they need or want to spend, buy some more/better mics and preamps or invest in improving acoustics or maybe buy a Kemper Profiler Any major upgrade to Pro Tools is going to require a computer upgrade, and that will be the start of a domino effect as the new computer will require a new OS, which will require a new version of PT, which will require a ton of other updates, which will..............am I painting a clear picture yet

Or, buy a recent(but not the newest) Mac Pro, and upgrade to PT10HD, and keep using the cards and plugins you have, and keep the current workflow.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Given what the studio does, I'd leave it all alone and keep making money with it. If they have money they need or want to spend, buy some more/better mics and preamps or invest in improving acoustics or maybe buy a Kemper Profiler Any major upgrade to Pro Tools is going to require a computer upgrade, and that will be the start of a domino effect as the new computer will require a new OS, which will require a new version of PT, which will require a ton of other updates, which will..............am I painting a clear picture yet

Or, buy a recent(but not the newest) Mac Pro, and upgrade to PT10HD, and keep using the cards and plugins you have, and keep the current workflow.
Looks like we actually have a license for PT 9HD. The computer we upgraded to 12 had 9HD and we still have that license around. That would make it quite a bit cheaper than purchasing a new HD system correct?