Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM

Default Is it my system or does PT 12 not play well with MIDI?

Hey guys. I've just recently updated my system to Pro Tools 12.2 about a week ago from Pro Tools 11.3.1. Instantly I've noticed off the bat the CPU usage meter spiking more frequently when utilizing sessions that have instrument tracks. My main software instrument is Reason 8. I set up the tracks via the Reason Rewire plugin and record all MIDI information per channel in PT.

Things kinda came to a head tonight when I was starting on a new song. Had PT 12 open. HW Buffer at 128. Disk Cache set to normal. A couple of instrument tracks set up. Started just noodling on a key bass track and the cpu usage meter went from 15% to 100% in about 20 seconds of playing to the point that the sound actually stopped coming through for a split second. Had to stop playing for the meter to go all the way back down.

I've done the Apple HW test today and had no issues. Also I've never had this issue when utilizing PT 10 or PT 11 prior to this update. So any and all help will be appreciated on things I can do to optimize the system a little more

Thanks a ton!

System is a 2011 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i5. 8GB of Ram. OSX 10.8.5
Old 10-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Is it my system or does PT 12 not play well with MIDI?

I'm not sure. I have had nothing but problems with pro tools 12 since i got it. I thought this 64 Bit stuff is supposed to let us use MORE plugs and VSTs. I was able to use way more with 10. Now in 12 i only have a couple VSTs open and i get clicks.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Hey guys. I've just recently updated my system to Pro Tools 12.2 about a week ago from Pro Tools 11.3.1. Instantly I've noticed off the bat the CPU usage meter spiking more frequently when utilizing sessions that have instrument tracks. My main software instrument is Reason 8. I set up the tracks via the Reason Rewire plugin and record all MIDI information per channel in PT.

Things kinda came to a head tonight when I was starting on a new song. Had PT 12 open. HW Buffer at 128. Disk Cache set to normal. A couple of instrument tracks set up. Started just noodling on a key bass track and the cpu usage meter went from 15% to 100% in about 20 seconds of playing to the point that the sound actually stopped coming through for a split second. Had to stop playing for the meter to go all the way back down.

I've done the Apple HW test today and had no issues. Also I've never had this issue when utilizing PT 10 or PT 11 prior to this update. So any and all help will be appreciated on things I can do to optimize the system a little more

Thanks a ton!

System is a 2011 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i5. 8GB of Ram. OSX 10.8.5
I might be barking up the wrong tree here but this to me sounds like you have the same problem that was occurring with Sansamp and various other plug-ins (including some VIs) - at least, you have exactly the same symptoms....

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366531

The solution (at least in that instance) was to insert a dither plug-in before the offending plug-in. Might be worth trying?
Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I might be barking up the wrong tree here but this to me sounds like you have the same problem that was occurring with Sansamp and various other plug-ins (including some VIs) - at least, you have exactly the same symptoms....

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366531

The solution (at least in that instance) was to insert a dither plug-in before the offending plug-in. Might be worth trying?
What would I do to find the offending plugin? I've just uninstalled pt 10 and 12 to do a fresh install of pt 12.3. Going to just uninstall all plugins as well and start from scratch.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 AM

It seems to be certain plugins for me. The NI stuff runs ok for the most part, but a few specific plugins (Sampletank 3 comes to mind) run as the OP describes.

The common denominator seems to be if the plugin has it's own built in effects. Those appear to push PT hard for some reason. Those same plugs run fine in Logic, Reaper & Studio One.

I get better performance when I back the buffer size to 128. By contrast, a buffer size of 64 (or 32 in Logic) is SOP in the other programs.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X