How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 PM

Default Re: remote operation of PT

Sweet, Maybe now that you've confirmed that it works I'll pick it up too
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 02-11-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Dive in, or do what I do. I bought one of those On-Stage rolling stands(like an Auto-locator stand) and fixed a wood top on it and set that level(no tilt). Then I attached a 24" 1080p LED TV and a mini keyboard(with a trackpad) that uses PS2 connections(because PS2 connections can be extended way more than USB). Then I made a snake with a pair of 25' PS2 cables and a 25' HDMI cable. My main screen(EDIT window is on a 32" 1080p LED TV and I fed that with an HDMI-DVI adapter cable. By pulling the HDMI plug from that TV and feeding it to an HDMI splitter($about 35 off eBay), I can have the same window show on the 24" screen and roll it up to 25' away from my workstation(which is enough to use in my vocal booth, or from behind my drum kit). Not wireless, but totally handy(and I don't have to learn any new software or iPad app)

Hi Dave,
Do you have a pix of your roll around setup?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM

USB repeaters can also be had, that essentially convert to and from Cat5 for runs longer than 5 meters. Same for KVM extenders, although I don't know what the resolution cap is on those.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Since Cubase has key commands for Record, Stop, RTZ, and Play, I just put my computer's wireless keyboard on a music stand next to my drum kit...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrecy View Post
Hi Dave,
Do you have a pix of your roll around setup?
Sadly, I don't and I recently took it apart and mounted the screen above my keyboard rig, and the keyboard/trackpad there as well. I have V-Control on my iPad for remote operation now. Not quite as slick, but its wireless

The rolling setup was an OnStage rolling stand with a solid wood shelf screwed to it. The 24" LED TV(1080P) was also screwed down(yes, I dropped a screen off it last year) and the keyboard was held on with some velcro tabs. I made a snake with 30' PS2 cables and a 30' HDMI cable, all wrapped in that black mesh cable wrap that is popular with pedalboard builders. The PS2 cables connected at the computer end with a dual PS2-USB adapter and it all worked great(i just wasn't using it often enough)

Here's the stand:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Autolocator
bought it for $79 at GC on sale

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2015, 02:59 PM

Step one:
Remote desktop to your pc via ipad, phone tablet or another computer with the "remote desktop" app.. This gives you complete control (for mac i've also used the "my mac" app which I didnt find as good, but still very usefull, and you can also use a cheap wireless video sender to a tv in another room + bluetooth mouse and keyboard).

Step two:
Grab a set of wireless headphones (cue argument about not being able to mix properly without good refference headphones/speakers now).

Step three:
Grab a wireless guitar sender reciever, mic sender reciever, whatever

Theres nothing more to it!
Utilising the above methods, I can track and mix in bed... Why? Well, because im lazy, the arcon isnt as good in the studio, but mainly, because I can.
You're gonna want to use your desk again for final mixes, but, for piecing together scratch tracks, virtual instruments, rough mixes edits, etc, its quite handy, not to mention full control in a one man show environment.

Its not going to give you multi screen support unless you go a little more elaborate, but, there are viable options, and, you get what you need. Also, as others have mentioned, add v-control and ac-7 core, and you can use a couple of ipads as virtual control surfaces ontop of your laptop/tablet running remote desktop for the ultimate "out of studio studio" setup

Its really not that expensive, everyone is likeley to have a laptop/tablet kicking around already (at very least a phone), so the most expensive part is probably the wireless headphones