Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2004, 06:39 PM

Default AUDIO FILES LOCATION WHEN USING A SESSION TEMPLATE

Any advice greatly appreciated . . . Is there a way to have your audio files end up in the same folder as your session when you have started the session from a template?

I got tired of setting up all my inputs manually each time I started a new session, and then I realized -- duh! -- you could set up a template. But this is what happened. I would open the template, save it as a new session, and when I was finished recording, I could not find the audio files.

My hard drive is partitioned into four areas: (1) HARD DRIVE (2) AUDIO ONE (3) AUDIO TWO (4) AUDIO THREE.

It turned out the audio files had gone into their own separate folder on HARD DRIVE, while the Pro Tools session itself was on the AUDIO ONE partition.

The template is located on HARD DRIVE. I saved the new session to AUDIO ONE. I am guessing I did NOT do something that would have made the audio files follow the new session to the AUDIO ONE partition.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 11-07-2004, 09:19 PM

Default Re: AUDIO FILES LOCATION WHEN USING A SESSION TEMPLATE

I can't actually answer your question very easily, but I'm going to be the first of several to tell you that the way you have your hard drive setup is killing your system performance. You can't partition a single drive into an OS partion and an audio partition, it will seriously slow down your system when running PT. Doing this threefold (3 audio partitions) is really insane, especially if you're thinking of using 'round robin' allocation. You need a separate hard drive for your audio files, whether it be firewire or internal - you'll get much much better performance, otherwise you're asking for all kinds of hard-drive related errors from PT.

Now, just because I don't want this to be a totally preachy thread, as far as your problem goes, I would imagine this happens because your template is living on your system partition, and therefore anything you create using that template will use the same location as the template for storing audio. Try creating and storing your template on your new audio drive instead, and then all your audio will automatically record to that drive instead.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2004, 10:23 PM

Did you remember to change the template to a read only file?

v5 was pretty good about this, but 6.x has a lot of trouble knowing where to get audio files from.

It may be a pain, but you could get use to just moving the take later.
This is all part of Digi's flaky execution of chacing data indexes to temporary files.
Things are getting put back together backwards. Bright side? Maybe they'll have it fixed by version 7

Then again, there could be a very simple fix I couldn't find. So much for intuative.

...and BUY ANOTHER DRIVE!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 AM

OK, thanks for the tips. And, yes, Slim Shady, I certainly agree with you on having a separate hard drive for audio. I do have four drives on my G4 at home and keep my audio separate. The computer I do most of my recording on these days, and where I am using this session template, is in our band's garage. It's an old 266-mhz OS9.2 beige G3 that has only one hard drive bay with a 120-gig drive in it.

Amazingly, it works great. It will record eight tracks at a time and never hiccup. It will play back about 14 tracks at a time
with plug-ins on about 6 tracks. It's running Pro Tools 5 and seems to be more reliable and error-free than Pro Tools 6.4 on my G4 with OS10.3.4. Of course, that single drive is working so hard it's probably ready to explode. Makes me
think I had better go back it up right now.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-08-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: AUDIO FILES LOCATION WHEN USING A SESSION TEMP

I'm on 5.2.1 and use templates all the time. It doesn't sound like your question was answered.

Open the template
Use Save Session As...
Setup>Disk Allocation>whatever volume you want the tracks in

We ran our system somewhat like yours with a 40G drive (Bay 0) doing both the apps and the sessions and without partitions! And no problems. We used our external FW for backup only. It wasn't until we started adding drives (sessions run on internal 120G in Bay 1, 200G external holds backups, original 40G system drive still holds apps) that we got "Find File" warnings and AudioFile folders popping up in weird places.
dna

G4 dual533, Digi001 + v5.2.1
Old 11-09-2004, 11:46 AM

THANKS MUCH, CURVE666 -- That makes total sense. I did "save as" when I opened the template, but I DID NOT use setup to choose the drive allocation for the new session. I will do that from now on.

Jim
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM

Digidesign shouldn't really call these templates.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:54 AM

Maybe just copy your template folder to the audio 1 partition and open it from there.