Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Default Why do I always get thin waveforms?

Hello,

Yes, I'm a rookie. So here is the issue: Even though I add the digirack compressor/limiter(the one comes with pt le 8) to the master fader and even though I can see that master fader reaches up to the orange area (without clipping) and even though I get a nice volume level when I bounce to disk, my records feel like they are not recorded with the eleven rack. (considering other records I've listened to which were recorded by an eleven rack) I mean, they lack sound quality.

I imported some commercial records to pro tools to compare, I saw that commercial records have really thick waveforms compared to my records. (comparing accoustic commercial records and my records are also accoustic)

here are my waveforms: http://i.imgur.com/D3eV5.png (oops, I realized now that I should've bounced this and then imported as a single track. I've also tried that way before, nothing really changes as far as I remember)

I think this might be the problem, not sure though since I'm a beginner.

By the way, my system:

Eleven Rack 2.0.1
Pro tools LE 8.0.5
iMac i7 with osx 10.6.8

Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2012, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Why do I always get thin waveforms?

The arrows show where to click to change waveform height;

http://www.box.com/s/4527a7afeeacbf0fcddc

The reason why a commercially produced track will look different is because they sound different. Lots of money is spent by pro studios in the quest to achieve that difference.

Also, it's likely your comparing a summed mix, appearing on one stereo track, as opposed to your guitar stereo/mono track on their own.

The equipment used by professional outfits is always going to yield better signals than those done in amateur rigs for a myriad of reasons, not least because they have acoustically designed rooms to record in which give the overall sound 'Air'.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparisons like this because you are comparing apples with oranges.

Have you tried re-amping and/or doubling/tripling the guitar track? You may want to experiment with doing that as you can get good results.

BTW, try and keep away as much as possible from inserting plugins on the master track.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
The arrows show where to click to change waveform height;

http://www.box.com/s/4527a7afeeacbf0fcddc

The reason why a commercially produced track will look different is because they sound different. Lots of money is spent by pro studios in the quest to achieve that difference.

Also, it's likely your comparing a summed mix, appearing on one stereo track, as opposed to your guitar stereo/mono track on their own.

The equipment used by professional outfits is always going to yield better signals than those done in amateur rigs for a myriad of reasons, not least because they have acoustically designed rooms to record in which give the overall sound 'Air'.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparisons like this because you are comparing apples with oranges.

Have you tried re-amping and/or doubling/tripling the guitar track? You may want to experiment with doing that as you can get good results.

BTW, try and keep away as much as possible from inserting plugins on the master track.
Hey zedhed, thanks for the reply.

I agree that, of course, I can't get the quality of a production that is produced by a pro studio since I just have pro tools and an eleven rack. But I think I should be able to do better because I've seen really nice works done with eleven rack and pro tools. I know I'm a starter, so maybe -well, obviously- I need more time, more practise, more knowledge. I'm putting the effort on it.

I've tried doubling the track as you can see in the image I've given in my first message. Tripling? Hmmmm, never tried this one but hey, why not? I'll give this a try. And re-amping? I've heard it but don't know how to re-amp a track so I guess I should learn what's re-amping first and then how to do it.

And finally, about not putting plug-ins on the master track. Let's make this clear because I wanna make sure: master track = master fader = master bus, am I correct here?

if so, I've read lots of articles, both on here and other forums/websites etc. which say "record the track, and then do the mix, and then bounce them as one single file then import them in pro tools, put limiters/compressors/eq on them to master them". now you're telling me not to put plug-ins on the master fader. So, how should I master my songs?

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvoyager View Post

I've tried doubling the track as you can see in the image I've given in my first message. Tripling? Hmmmm, never tried this one but hey, why not? I'll give this a try.
It's not uncommon to do four or even five tracks.

Quote:
And re-amping? I've heard it but don't know how to re-amp a track so I guess I should learn what's re-amping first and then how to do it.
Check out Benoni's blog. He has done some great videos on everything to do with the 11R. There is also a vid on the Avid site;
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Eleven-Rack_2

Quote:
And finally, about not putting plug-ins on the master track. Let's make this clear because I wanna make sure: master track = master fader = master bus, am I correct here?

if so, I've read lots of articles, both on here and other forums/websites etc. which say "record the track, and then do the mix, and then bounce them as one single file then import them in pro tools, put limiters/compressors/eq on them to master them". now you're telling me not to put plug-ins on the master fader. So, how should I master my songs?

Thanks again.
Go right ahead to insert what's needed on Master Fader/Track (yes same thing) during Mastering. I was more referring to Mixdown.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
It's not uncommon to do four or even five tracks.

Check out Benoni's blog. He has done some great videos on everything to do with the 11R. There is also a vid on the Avid site;
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Eleven-Rack_2

Go right ahead to insert what's needed on Master Fader/Track (yes same thing) during Mastering. I was more referring to Mixdown.
I tried tripling a simple acoustic lick and yes, the result was better.

About master fader, yes now I realized that I should use limiters/compressors etc on master fader rather when I'm mastering, not mixing.

And thanks for letting me know of Benoni's blog. He's really helpful, so are you and I'll check that out immediately.

Thanks zedhed, have a nice day.